Trusted Contributor

Re: reuseable shopping bags.

I always take them to the grocery store or warehouse club, but I forget when I go to CVS, Staples and other stores.  I have to remember from now on.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

Plastic bags free from our grocery stores.  Our county is about to abolish them and there is a conversation going about them.  The so called ONE USE bag in my case is not one use.  I line my trash cans.  I wrap things I carry so there is no leakage.  I use these multiple times if I can.  I recycle them.  I don't toss them in the street.  Seems overkill is on the rampage.  First straws and now my bags that I use and use and use.  

I reuse "one use" bags, too.  Can't believe others don't as well.

As to paper bags, not only are they biodegradable but they're also compostable.  Acorns fall out of trees and make -- wait for it -- more trees -- to make more paper -- a complete and continuing cycle.  What a clever Creator, huh?

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 

I recently purchased some new reusable insulated totes for grocery shopping and I like them so much that I had to dig up this thread from a few weeks ago to update!

What I got is the set of 3 West Loop insulated totes sold on HSN. Item 655-606. They had a lot of colors to choose from & I had a hard time picking one but finally went with black print; one has a small dot like print, one is striped, one is camo. 

I thought I only needed one but I’ve had occasion to use two on one shopping trip. I thought they would be too big for me but they are just right, roomy for one person’s shopping but not too big.

I thought the straps were too wide but they are wide enough to fit nicely on my shoulder when the bags are full without cutting into me. They are very comfortable and make it easy to carry my groceries. I use them for cold and non-cold groceries. 

When I got mine they had free shipping and a sale price. I got a good cash back deal, I think it was through ibotta.

Respected Contributor

Living in a beach town we see first hand the damage plastic does.

The plastic bags, plastic straws and non recyclable food containers are banned in my city.

When you come home from the store and unload. hang the bags on you front door to bring to the car the next time you go out.. 

We have bags from different charities and some we have bought.

I love the trader joe's bags. They have the ones shown above as well as canvas and also insulated.

plastic is like nuclear waste---It will be around long after we are gone.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

The plastic bags, plastic straws and non recyclable food containers are banned in my city.

When you come home from the store and unload. hang the bags on you front door to bring to the car the next time you go out.. 

I love the trader joe's bags. They have the ones shown above as well as canvas and also insulated.

@hennypenny 

That is what I do, too. I hang the bags on the doorknob as soon as I empty them & that way I remember to take them out to the car next time I leave the house.

The reusable ones are better in so many ways.

Honored Contributor

Reusable and some paper bags from the market.

I don't believe stores are trying to save money.  Plastic bags are not welcomed in many states or at least counties/cities across the nation.

Markets need to step up and do their part and it's long past due.

There are biodegradable bags for pet waste.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Warrior2022OMG!! Your question just sits there, waving at me and demanding an answer.

Sorry.  I ain't going there.  Smiley Surprised

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I don't believe stores are trying to save money.  Plastic bags are not welcomed in many states or at least counties/cities across the nation.

One reusable cotton (a horrific crop for the environment) bag has to be used thousands of times to offset a single plastic bag, and that doesn't include constant washing and drying to prevent bacterial growth.  A bagger told me the other day that they hate to touch some of the reusables though because they're so filthy. If bags are banned, I'll have to buy them.  Or I could just put more vehicles on the road by ordering online with all those styrofoam boxes.

Plastic actually breaks down faster than we think, but like all trash, it needs sun and water for the bacteria and such to do its thing.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Frequent Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

ITA & Amen to that @Cakers3.

Frequent Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

So true & so sad @hennypenny .