Honored Contributor

I just read they are considering, resurrecting Carrie's image to star in the next Star Wars film

It seems they have the ability to do this, but for 70 years her estate must be given royalties. It can only be done  with the permission of her estate.

I wonder  what will happen to  stars who are gone for more than 70 years?  It seems awful to me ,their image could be considered  in the public domain, and be making heaps for some studio after they were long gone.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: resurrecting Carrie's image

I thought the next film was going into in production and she had just finished filming her part.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

They are talking about using her in future films. I'm sorry I didn't make that  clearer

Esteemed Contributor

So her estate gives permission (or not).  If they allow it, they get royalties .  I believe the estate always has to give permission (or whoever owns the images), they are usually not public domain, and money or royalties  are typically part of the deal.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Yes they have  control. I am thinking about stars who will be not under the restrictions she is, for the nest  70 years

It seems awful to me that they could just be used , in a film that perhaps they would not  want anything to do with. It  could be an xrated film, or one that promoted something they were against. When you are alive you have the ability to say no. If you are dead it looks like you are just  fair game?

Honored Contributor

I found this

Under a 1985 California law, filmmakers must get permission from the estate of a celebrity to use his or her image for up to 70 years after death.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Yes they have  control. I am thinking about stars who will be not under the restrictions she is, for the nest  70 years

It seems awful to me that they could just be used , in a film that perhaps they would not  want anything to do with. It  could be an xrated film, or one that promoted something they were against. When you are alive you have the ability to say no. If you are dead it looks like you are just  fair game?

They cannot just be used, someone has to give approval.  Someone owns those images.

Super Contributor

I don't know if you saw "Rogue One" but.... Let's just say there are two deceased actors who appear in it.

I thought it was a great touch but the trick will get old quickly.

Disney has given new life to this franchise.  I just hope they side with quality over quantity.

Honored Contributor

If there is no  one alive from their family, who is in charge of the estate?

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I found this

Under a 1985 California law, filmmakers must get permission from the estate of a celebrity to use his or her image for up to 70 years after death.

If a person has been dead for 70 years, don't think their image is going to be in demand.