Respected Contributor

Re: report - vaccination rates in west LA

Yes, it's normal. As noted in one of the posts you quoted, the tetanus vaccine is combined with both diphtheria and pertussis (whooping cough).

Honored Contributor

The pertussis vaccine wears off in time, which is why a new injection is recommended for older people around babies. Grandparents, especially.

Whooping Cough has made a dangerous come-back in California.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 esmeraldagooch said:
On 9/17/2014 JustJazzmom said:
On 9/17/2014 ILikeShade said:

In 2009 I had a tetanus shot and it was called Td meaning that it also contained the diphtheria vaccine. That's what was recommended for booster shots. It comes in these configurations: DTaP, Tdap, DT, and Td.

(Upper-case letters in these abbreviations denote full-strength doses of diphtheria (D) and tetanus (T) toxoids and pertussis (P) vaccine. Lower-case “d” and “p” denote reduced doses of diphtheria and pertussis used in the adolescent/adult-formulations. The “a” in DTaP and Tdap stands for “acellular,” meaning that the pertussis component contains only a part of the pertussis organism.)

So if DTaP and Tdap is recommended for kids, I find it odd that tetanus and diphtheria has not resurfaced. You cannot get just a pertussis vaccination.<br />

Tetanus lives naturally in the soil and doesn't need oxygen to multiply- its an anerobic bacteria. Unfortunately, the pharmaceutical companies do not separate the pertussis from the tetanus when distributing the vaccinations. Its 'bundled' that way.

Tetanus was probably more common with the agrarian society and since there are less farms, there is less exposure to this bacteria. Tetanus toxoid is commonly given to people if they accidentally walk barefoot and cut their foot or if you cut yourself on a tin can because of the germ living naturally in the soil.

Tetanus vaccinations last in people about 10 years so if its 10 years since you had one, its best to get one, especially if you are say a gardener (like me). I do wear gloves for the most part but I am up to date on my vaccinations.

I just got one a few weeks ago after a rusty nail incident. The tetanus shot also had whooping cough in it. Is that normal?

Yes, the tetanus shot comes by itself, or with pertussis added or with pertussis and diphtheria.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 9/17/2014 chrystaltree said:

The level of ignorance in this country continues to astound me. We don't have the problem in my state because children must have the appropriate vaccincations before they begin school, even pre school. The only exemptions are for health or religious reasons. Parents can't refuse just because they don't like the idea. Measles has resurfaced but recent immigrants are the cause.

I agree with you.

There has been an anti-science movement in this country for the past couple of years. Very sad.

I agree, too. There's a dangerous trend toward mistrusting professionals who actually spent years dedicated to medicine and toward trusting random websites and even celebrities who promote pseudoscience. We should be our own best healthcare advocate, but not our own healthcare-by-internet physician. It's alarming, dangerous and can be deadly, not only for those who are anti-science but also for anyone with whom they have contact.

{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

My youngest son almost died as a baby due to a reaction to the pertussis vaccine...needless to say the Dr. put a huge mark on his chart and he was never vaccinated for it again. His best friend who was vaccinated got whooping cough when he was about 13 years old, my son had been exposed to him...and did not get sick.

Am I a "stupid stupid person" for following the Doctors advice?

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 9/17/2014 NoelSeven said:

The level of ignorance in this country continues to astound me. We don't have the problem in my state because children must have the appropriate vaccincations before they begin school, even pre school. The only exemptions are for health or religious reasons. Parents can't refuse just because they don't like the idea. Measles has resurfaced but recent immigrants are the cause.

I agree with you.

There has been an anti-science movement in this country for the past couple of years. Very sad.

I agree, too. There's a dangerous trend toward mistrusting professionals who actually spent years dedicated to medicine and toward trusting random websites and even celebrities who promote pseudoscience. We should be our own best healthcare advocate, but not our own healthcare-by-internet physician. It's alarming, dangerous and can be deadly, not only for those who are anti-science but also for anyone with whom they have contact.

{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Hi dooBdoo, I haven't seen you around much lately. I hope all is well Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 dreamytoo said:

My youngest son almost died as a baby due to a reaction to the pertussis vaccine...needless to say the Dr. put a huge mark on his chart and he was never vaccinated for it again. His best friend who was vaccinated got whooping cough when he was about 13 years old, my son had been exposed to him...and did not get sick.

How frightening. I'm glad he's all right. You never know when a reaction can be deadly, IMO.
Respected Contributor

yep. I've noticed it with the arrival of the internet and webMD and crackpot sites that are anti-science. Everyone is an expert and their "opinion" trumps facts & science. Why should people go to medical school when you can google for it? lol

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 dreamytoo said:

Yours, though, is an entirely different situation. You have an actual reason for not vaccinating your son against whooping cough.

The vaccine is effective in about 8-9 out of 10 children. And in those who are vaccinated and still get pertussis, the infection is generally much less severe.

Some also have a natural resistance to certain diseases. As a child, I was exposed to mumps several times and never developed the disease.