Honored Contributor

Re: report - vaccination rates in west LA

On 9/17/2014 chrystaltree said:

The level of ignorance in this country continues to astound me. We don't have the problem in my state because children must have the appropriate vaccincations before they begin school, even pre school. The only exemptions are for health or religious reasons. Parents can't refuse just because they don't like the idea. Measles has resurfaced but recent immigrants are the cause.

I believe this is a free country and that education of one's children is a right. The government has no right to force parents to immunize their children that is why there are exemptions to allow children to attend school without being immunized. There is no risk to the children of parents who have had their children immunized so it seems a win win situation to me.

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 ILikeShade said:

In 2009 I had a tetanus shot and it was called Td meaning that it also contained the diphtheria vaccine. That's what was recommended for booster shots. It comes in these configurations: DTaP, Tdap, DT, and Td.

(Upper-case letters in these abbreviations denote full-strength doses of diphtheria (D) and tetanus (T) toxoids and pertussis (P) vaccine. Lower-case “d” and “p” denote reduced doses of diphtheria and pertussis used in the adolescent/adult-formulations. The “a” in DTaP and Tdap stands for “acellular,” meaning that the pertussis component contains only a part of the pertussis organism.)

So if DTaP and Tdap is recommended for kids, I find it odd that tetanus and diphtheria has not resurfaced. You cannot get just a pertussis vaccination.

Tetanus lives naturally in the soil and doesn't need oxygen to multiply- its an anerobic bacteria. Unfortunately, the pharmaceutical companies do not separate the pertussis from the tetanus when distributing the vaccinations. Its 'bundled' that way.

Tetanus was probably more common with the agrarian society and since there are less farms, there is less exposure to this bacteria. Tetanus toxoid is commonly given to people if they accidentally walk barefoot and cut their foot or if you cut yourself on a tin can because of the germ living naturally in the soil.

Tetanus vaccinations last in people about 10 years so if its 10 years since you had one, its best to get one, especially if you are say a gardener (like me). I do wear gloves for the most part but I am up to date on my vaccinations.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 occasional rain said:

Shouldn't women about to become pregnant be the ones responsible to get immunized not every man, woman, and child they may encounter?

No because if you were not immunized as a child why would you get immunized as a pregnant woman?

Respected Contributor

Haven't I seen studies done in the non vaccinated child community and they had just as much autsims as the vaccinated.?

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 scotttie said:

Haven't I seen studies done in the non vaccinated child community and they had just as much autsims as the vaccinated.?

So what does that tell you? Autism rates are NOT affected by non vaccinations vs. vaccinations. Check out some of the Scandinavian studies that were done-- they found the same thing.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Shouldn't women about to become pregnant be the ones responsible to get immunized not every man, woman, and child they may encounter?

No because if you were not immunized as a child why would you get immunized as a pregnant woman?

Maybe because you hadn't been vaccinated as a child. Maybe the vaccination is only good for a limited time and adults need to be re-vaccinated. I seem to remember reading that people in their twenties were getting childhood illnesses because their vaccinations were no longer effective.

Honored Contributor

The level of ignorance in this country continues to astound me. We don't have the problem in my state because children must have the appropriate vaccincations before they begin school, even pre school. The only exemptions are for health or religious reasons. Parents can't refuse just because they don't like the idea. Measles has resurfaced but recent immigrants are the cause.

I agree with you.

There has been an anti-science movement in this country for the past couple of years. Very sad.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I believe this is a free country and that education of one's children is a right. The government has no right to force parents to immunize their children that is why there are exemptions to allow children to attend school without being immunized. There is no risk to the children of parents who have had their children immunized so it seems a win win situation to me.

Oh, yes, there is a risk to anyone already immunized. A vaccine is not 100% protection, and being in close contact with someone who is sick because they didn't get a vaccine, is still possible contagion. Usually, though, catching something after immunization reduces the impact.

Honored Contributor

Most likely, you have.

Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 JustJazzmom said:
On 9/17/2014 ILikeShade said:

In 2009 I had a tetanus shot and it was called Td meaning that it also contained the diphtheria vaccine. That's what was recommended for booster shots. It comes in these configurations: DTaP, Tdap, DT, and Td.

(Upper-case letters in these abbreviations denote full-strength doses of diphtheria (D) and tetanus (T) toxoids and pertussis (P) vaccine. Lower-case “d” and “p” denote reduced doses of diphtheria and pertussis used in the adolescent/adult-formulations. The “a” in DTaP and Tdap stands for “acellular,” meaning that the pertussis component contains only a part of the pertussis organism.)

So if DTaP and Tdap is recommended for kids, I find it odd that tetanus and diphtheria has not resurfaced. You cannot get just a pertussis vaccination.<br />

Tetanus lives naturally in the soil and doesn't need oxygen to multiply- its an anerobic bacteria. Unfortunately, the pharmaceutical companies do not separate the pertussis from the tetanus when distributing the vaccinations. Its 'bundled' that way.

Tetanus was probably more common with the agrarian society and since there are less farms, there is less exposure to this bacteria. Tetanus toxoid is commonly given to people if they accidentally walk barefoot and cut their foot or if you cut yourself on a tin can because of the germ living naturally in the soil.

Tetanus vaccinations last in people about 10 years so if its 10 years since you had one, its best to get one, especially if you are say a gardener (like me). I do wear gloves for the most part but I am up to date on my vaccinations.

I just got one a few weeks ago after a rusty nail incident. The tetanus shot also had whooping cough in it. Is that normal?