Esteemed Contributor

Re: religion and qvc products

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Since WHEN does QVC allow threads about religion?    They poof every political thread ... and allow religious threads? 

Since when ??

There are about 4 threads about the Pope.....Smiley Tongue

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

II completely agree.  And if someone started a thread for/about non-believers (for lack of a better phrase) of any non-Judeo-Xtian ideology, it would either be completely flooded with proselytizing or deleted because of complaints so fast your head would spin, as they used to say. It wouldn't/couldn't exist here. (Can you imagine a Muslim thread on these forums, or an ongoing pagan/wiccan thread? You can bet big $$ the "no religion on the forums" card would be played immediately. And I find that offensive in itself.f QVC doesn't change a few things re hosts and their spiels, which holidays or faiths QVC addresses, and which beliefs or non-beliefs are/are not permitted to be discussed on the forums, they will become known as the shopping network of one particular faith.

If they actually desire this because they believe the majority of their customers are of this faith, fine, that's their prerogative. But the nationwide percentage of people who do not identify with this faith, or with any faith, is growing year by year. It dropped 7-8% in just the past 7 years. Something they should keep in mind before they take sides any more than they already have.

True. Some only want tolerance for their religious posts.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Since WHEN does QVC allow threads about religion?    They poof every political thread ... and allow religious threads? 

Since when ??

In Among Friends.  It's always been that way.

Valued Contributor

Christianity IS the dominant  religion in America.  One Nation Under God is and will always be. This is NEVER "antiquated" as the OP would like to suggest.

The latest poll from gallup says:

PRINCETON, NJ --  78% of American adults identify with some form of Christian religion. Less than 2% are Jewish, less than 1% are Muslim, and 15% do not have a religious identity. This means that 95% of all Americans who have a religious identity are Christians.

Honored Contributor

Just to provide another POV, another poll.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@physicsnut wrote:

Christianity IS the dominant  religion in America.  One Nation Under God is and will always be. This is NEVER "antiquated" as the OP would like to suggest.

PRINCETON, NJ --  78% of American adults identify with some form of Christian religion. Less than 2% are Jewish, less than 1% are Muslim, and 15% do not have a religious identity. This means that 95% of all Americans who have a religious identity are Christians.

That's not their latest poll.

It's the exact quote from their Christmas 2011 poll:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/151760/christianity-remains-dominant-religion-united-states.aspx

It helps to look at a period of time and several polls rather than at one poll in one Christmas season.   From year to year over time there's a decline in those who identify as Christian or a "formal religious identity."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

Thanks for that poll-- its something I've been aware of for a long time. Going to church now I see-- families and elderly-- I do not see young adults (unless they have children) and do not see people my age (40's and 50's) attending; I just see those extremes in age attending.

I have a feeling within the next 10 years the Catholic church is going to have to make some hard decisions re: consolidation of parishes and schools. Its already happening in the larger NYC diocese and here on LI where some Catholic schools are closing due to lack of enrollment or duplication of services-- better served with one school instead of 2.

The Catholic church is growing tremendously with those coming from Latin and South America-- its falling from the American young adults who may identify themselves as Christian but we do not see them actively worshiping in a church.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@physicsnut wrote:

You fail to mention that Christianity is a minority world religion .... only about 31 percent.    

I'm a Catholic, and have had a few so-called "Christians" tell me that Catholics aren't Christian.    Seems like there's more than one definition of what qualifies.

Nevertheless, no religion has the right to shove their religion down other peoples' throats.    (That's one of the things that give Christians a bad name).

Respected Contributor

Kachina when you go to the AMONG FRIENDS forum there is no one or any thing that is making your computer open up that thread you have the choice of what you want to read on here. Nothing forces anyone to read anything that they don't want to read. Which means it is your choice what you read. Have a good day.

Esteemed Contributor

I was so hoping that the message of Pope Francis, a message of peace and love, would have provided a time of peace and reflection for all.  Not here.  No holiday.

A brief time of coming together would be too boring for some.