Honored Contributor

Re: relatable (for many singles) New Yorker cover

@Johnnyeager wrote:

She's probably doing a Zoom Happy Hour with friends or coworkers.

It's a cute amalgam of the pandemic Work From Home phenomenon.   Wouldn't expect everyone to "get it" but it's fun to see.

I'm pretty sure every one "gets it" unless they've had their head buried in the sand.

Esteemed Contributor

Nope.   Not everyone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Nope.   Not everyone. 

@Johnnyeager 

Not "relating" to something doesn't mean that you don't get it.  It means that it's just not your thing personally.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

It's an exaggeration meant to be funny. And all the little details are really apt, the tight messy bun, the multicooker on the shelf, the wine bottles, the hand sanitizer, the hand weights. Everything she used to go out to do with other people, she's stuck doing in front of her computer in her tiny studio.

It looks to me like she's supposed to on one of those video dates they keep promoting in Match dot com ads. It's like, she looks really fancy in her blouse and jewelry, but you have no idea what's going on outside the video frame. I think it's funny and clever.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Shoot me now if that becomes my life. I do have a cat tho.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

She's probably doing a Zoom Happy Hour with friends or coworkers.

It's a cute amalgam of the pandemic Work From Home phenomenon.   Wouldn't expect everyone to "get it" but it's fun to see.

I agree and I think a point is being made that all the mess is on the floor and out of "Zoom Range."

From the waist up she's the picture of pulled together with her hair done, the pretty blouse, the fancy glass, a partition to hide the unmade bed, etc.

From the waist down it's a whole other story. Cute cover @feline groovy ! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: relatable New Yorker cover

@shoesnbags wrote:

@feline groovy 

Cute picture, but I can't relate because I hate mess and clutter.  I'd be down on the floor picking up that mess so fast her head would spin lol.  Also not into the slippers/half dressed  look.  COVID or not, I'm dressed for the day - casual, but fully dressed with shoes on my feet.  Different strokes for different folks.

@shoesnbags 

I agree with you....I can relate to the computer, the books and of course the cats.....  but no clutter in my house especially used gloves, masks, and trash....and yes I  have a beverage---coffee, tea, water, hot chocolate---but if working from home it would certainly not be with a glass of wine in my hand, especially with so many Zoom work meetings...And do I spy a prescription bottle and she's drinking that glass of wine---not a good idea... And like you I dress casually but not sloppy....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Nope.   Not everyone. 

@Johnnyeager 

Not "relating" to something doesn't mean that you don't get it.  It means that it's just not your thing personally.

@shoesnbags @Johnnyeager 

Especially the way the thread title reads--- "relatable for many singles--"  looks like some of us aren't slobs!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 

That's a Tylenol bottle.  I keep one near my computer - helps prevent computer viruses.   Smiley Wink

------------------------------------------

@beckyb1012 wrote:

.....  Along with a bottle of pills next to her computer on her desk.  ........

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

It's an exaggeration meant to be funny. And all the little details are really apt, the tight messy bun, the multicooker on the shelf, the wine bottles, the hand sanitizer, the hand weights. Everything she used to go out to do with other people, she's stuck doing in front of her computer in her tiny studio.

It looks to me like she's supposed to on one of those video dates they keep promoting in Match dot com ads. It's like, she looks really fancy in her blouse and jewelry, but you have no idea what's going on outside the video frame. I think it's funny and clever.

@Porcelain  I agree very funny and extremely clever. One magazine cover captures the essence of what's going on.  It's not meant to be taken literally for heavens sakes.