Honored Contributor

This is exactly the kind of gouging and greed that needs to be regulated. So gross

Exorbitant resort fees, concert ticket fees, refrigerator monitoring-the list goes on and on and on.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

@spumoni99, did you check for an email receipt with the breakdown of cost?

Since it was so recent, it may have been the pre-authorization holding fee that hasn't yet fallen off. It's not unusual for that to be at least $100 a room, more depending on some hotels.

Oh good idea! I will take a look.
Respected Contributor

As far as a refrigerator and someone needing a refrigerator for medicine I would think that would be against some type of law to charge for the fridge. I wouldn't want to stay there again.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@SaveTheTurtles wrote:

That strikes me as being creepy and ridiculous. Creepy because how is the fridge being monitored? Is there a camera in the room? Ridiculous because I deal with hotels across the country for my job and have never heard of this from any of the chains we use for our employees who travel.

@SaveTheTurtles     I think there is "some" confusion over the mini-bar and a SEPARATE room refrigerator.     The mini-bar has a GLASS door and a price list.      The refrigerator (sometimes you have to ASK for one)...is for your personal storage....medicines, baby food, etc. 

just a FYI......

MANY good hotels do not have GLASS mini fridges/bars. they look just like regular mini fridges, but have all types of goodies inside.....alcohol, sodas, condoms, pills, chips, nuts, candy, waters, masks, ear plugs, etc..... some of these same hotels actually have items sitting out on your dresser. YES, if you remove it and put it back you will be charged. mostly they now have QR codes to scan for pricing. this has been happening for quite a few years now. we just dont touch ANYTHING LOL.

these same hotels do not provide an empty fridge for your personal items. maybe they do upon request at some?

we NOW see some hotels provide refrigerated COOLERS that look like a mini fridge, but arent. they have a timer on them so that the cooler shuts off after two hours. you have to keep pressing a button to activate. these are no charge, generally. some hotels will store your medicines if you ask in this case. it is a pain though. this is what we recently had....we stayed at a marriott based hotel in a major destination city. snack bar in the lobby with microwave, ice machines on each floor.

my biggest surprise this trip and the first time happening to me.....room housekeeping service only every OTHER day! 

just got back from a vacation actually. have noticed all of these things over the past year or more.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I have seen these type of fridges for at least 20 years or more.  They are stocked with drinks....water, soft drinks,beer and hard liquor and sometimes cold treats.

In the top of the unit there is usually a place card with the prices of the items in the fridge.  It also explains that you cannot use the fridge to hold your own items.

The  items are monitored by weight.  As soon as you pick up an item....you will be charged for it.

This is different than the fridge, microwave and coffee maker supplied for your use.

I have seen these fridges in the US, Canada, Asia and Europe.

I've seen these types of fridges too.  However, you can take out stuff to see what's in there without being charged for it if it's put back.

Carmie is correct.  I see these fridges in most hotels in Las Vegas.  You can open the door but if you pick something up you only have about 5 seconds to put it back without being charged.  There's no exceptions.  If you need a fridge for your meds and can verify it, they will give you a fridge for free.

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

As far as a refrigerator and someone needing a refrigerator for medicine I would think that would be against some type of law to charge for the fridge. I wouldn't want to stay there again.

I'm sure it's not against any law.  If you need a fridge for medicines or whatever, you buy a cheap cooler.  Ice is always available and it's free.  Of course before you make your reservation, you ask if all rooms have a refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

High-end hotels do not have ice machines in the hallways.    You need to call the bell station to have a bucket of ice delivered.   That means "a tip".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

High-end hotels do not have ice machines in the hallways.    You need to call the bell station to have a bucket of ice delivered.   That means "a tip".

I haven't seen that.  I stay at high end hotels in Vegas and they all have ice machines in a room at the end of the hallway.  

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I have seen these type of fridges for at least 20 years or more.  They are stocked with drinks....water, soft drinks,beer and hard liquor and sometimes cold treats.

In the top of the unit there is usually a place card with the prices of the items in the fridge.  It also explains that you cannot use the fridge to hold your own items.

The  items are monitored by weight.  As soon as you pick up an item....you will be charged for it.

This is different than the fridge, microwave and coffee maker supplied for your use.

I have seen these fridges in the US, Canada, Asia and Europe.

I've seen these types of fridges too.  However, you can take out stuff to see what's in there without being charged for it if it's put back.

Carmie is correct.  I see these fridges in most hotels in Las Vegas.  You can open the door but if you pick something up you only have about 5 seconds to put it back without being charged.  There's no exceptions.  If you need a fridge for your meds and can verify it, they will give you a fridge for free.

Yes, I realize that about the refrigerators with sensors now.  But, would I have to show them that I take Enbrel that needs to be refrigerated to verify it?  Seems kind of intrusive that they know my medications.💝