Respected Contributor

Agree, nothing new.  These mini-bar fridges are offered on many cruise ships, and in a lot of higher-end hotels.  

Moderate hotels offer regular, empty refrigerators as a service--luxury hotels offer mini-bar fridges so travelers can indulge at any time!

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I have seen these type of fridges for at least 20 years or more.  They are stocked with drinks....water, soft drinks,beer and hard liquor and sometimes cold treats.

In the top of the unit there is usually a place card with the prices of the items in the fridge.  It also explains that you cannot use the fridge to hold your own items.

The  items are monitored by weight.  As soon as you pick up an item....you will be charged for it.

This is different than the fridge, microwave and coffee maker supplied for your use.

I have seen these fridges in the US, Canada, Asia and Europe.

I've seen these types of fridges too.  However, you can take out stuff to see what's in there without being charged for it if it's put back.

Carmie is correct.  I see these fridges in most hotels in Las Vegas.  You can open the door but if you pick something up you only have about 5 seconds to put it back without being charged.  There's no exceptions.  If you need a fridge for your meds and can verify it, they will give you a fridge for free.

Yes, I realize that about the refrigerators with sensors now.  But, would I have to show them that I take Enbrel that needs to be refrigerated to verify it?  Seems kind of intrusive that they know my medications.💝

@cheriere 

The hotel has your personal information anyway...ID, credit card, etc....in case of emergecy.   It is CONFIDENTIAL .    It is LAW that the hotel knows who you are....just like airlines.    (If you are a celebrity, or just wish to register with an alias, you may do that, but they need your true identidy along with your "cover").

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

What's next, an added charge for each time the toilet is flushed?  Sheeesh

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

Las Vegas is a whole "different story"...      

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

If a mini-fridge is not listed as an amenity, and one is needed it's simple enough to call the hotel, ask if one is included in the room, and if not can one be delivered and at what cost.

In some cities, such as NYC, there are not so high end hotels where its not unusual to require ice be delivered from the bar. 

More and more hotels are padding their list of a room's amenities. Now they don't just list a television, telephone, coffee maker, kettle, microwave, newspapers, and Wi-Fi, but now you see things that are always taken for granted. Things like towels, tissues and even toilet paper.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have seen these type of fridges for at least 20 years or more.  They are stocked with drinks....water, soft drinks,beer and hard liquor and sometimes cold treats.

In the top of the unit there is usually a place card with the prices of the items in the fridge.  It also explains that you cannot use the fridge to hold your own items.

The  items are monitored by weight.  As soon as you pick up an item....you will be charged for it.

This is different than the fridge, microwave and coffee maker supplied for your use.

I have seen these fridges in the US, Canada, Asia and Europe.

I've seen these kinds of refrigerators too.  However, like you said, there's usually a regular one you can use too.  That's what I was thinking about being in a room.

Honored Contributor

I stayed in a hotel overnight during my dh's surgery. I loaded my in-room frig with all of my Costco finds and never was charged with anything. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

If in doubt...call the desk or business office, and CONFIRM whether it's complimentary or not, before you tinker with it.     

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi With meds it  is a diff. thing. Unless YOU volunteer the info about your meds it is a HIPPA and anyone looking at the computer will know about your meds. 

This is really a legal matter and I don't believe LEGAL is - allowing this.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Valued Contributor

In the past when I've traveled I've always carried bread and cheese so I can eat a few meals without paying high traveler's prices. Or, in case I arrive late, and there's no way to order a sandwich from room service. I would store these things in the hotel mini-frig. 

The last few years I've noticed that hotels always find a reason to charge me for use of the frig even if I've eaten nothing from it. 

Not exactly hospitality. 

I would think that eating would be as important a medical imperative as taking and storing medications.

Nowadays when I travel I carry peanut butter and jelly.