Regular Contributor

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I believe the good  far outweighs the bad. Rather than changing society/people, it exposes it/them. Being informed is a good thing.

I agree. If not for reading here I wouldn't encounter some of the attitudes and archaic belief systems some still cling to. Someone yesterday posted people need to stick with their own kind in a thread about multi-racial people in television advertisements. I thought I had entered the twilight zone....

I saw that too. I replied to it and my post was deleted as inappropriate. The original post wasn't inappropriate, but my post calling out the bigotry was. Another person to add to my list of deplorables.

I saw that, and couldn't believe that post was allowed to stay up. I had one deleted yesterday on another thread, but other rude and inflammatory posts stayed up. Social media is doing a lot to expose bigots and racists, and some are being humbled and facing swift consequences of their actions, which is a good thing. 

I don't think racists and bigots are capable of being humbled. Glad they face swift consequences, but I believe those people are nearly beyond redemption. Same with fake religionists.

Honored Contributor

The idea of "social media" is like the Rorschach test in that we all view it through our own prism of beliefs and POVs.

For example, the OP was quite disdainful in the bullying thread regarding people mentioning the mother's racist tendencies, whereas others pointed to as an important part of the story.

Some applaud particular content; others decry it. And so it goes. Social media is simply a reflection, admittedly magnified, of who we are today, right now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

So is world hunger.  Like many self entitled other's, he should use his platform to talk about something really affecting humanity.

One problem is much more immediate (world hunger), but it doesn't diminish the other and it's huge and sometimes negative impact. 

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

No offense to the posters here, but this is another anti-youth, anti-technology rant that seems to come about with every generation as they age.

I know a  handful of people who truly never get on social media, but all of you on here look kind of silly complaining about it.

I feel reasonably confident asserting that Chamath Palihapitiya, at 41 and with his former positions at both AOL and Facebook, is neither anti-youth nor anti-technology.  With his background, if he's raising concerns about use of social media, we ought listen.  Not saying anyone has to agree with him, but dismissing his concerns out of hand seems foolish.

raising some concerns is a lot different than using the term "ripping apart society."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Ah geez, why are some of you arguing about this stuff? 

I don't understand why everything always turns into a fight. Doesn't it take away from your good energy? Please stop it- it isn't worth the time or the energy. Heart

If you want something to get riled up over, look at the fake sky everyday. It's being doused with chemicals, all day, every day. Take note, people. 

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

Agreed, Maudlynn. It comes down to the user and his/her judgement (as usual). Some people will act like idiots with or without social media.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Social media changed the way you meet people romantically.  You have strangers on computer eventually meeting and getting married.  It happened to my older sister. I met my husband the old way.  Through university, but computer dating was around when I was in college. And I tried it once.  It's changed somewhat, but still the way you meet people.  

@songbirdBefore "social media" there were "dating sites," where people presented their best selves.  If everyone on social media did that...presented their best selves, were looking to meet someone with whom to have a relationship...not necessarily romantic or sexual...this wouldn't even be a topic.

@esmerelda You're living in fantasy land! BEFORE social media as far as singles and dating are concerned there were the NEWSPAPER and MAGAZINE single columns that were anything from tame to downright SLEAZY and KINKY! You're old enough to remember them, this wasn't just invented!

@JaneMarpleSo in 12 hours the only posts you've found worthy of reply are mine?  I'm flattered.

BEFORE social media as we think of it today there was match.com.

@esmerelda retirement must be rough on you, you seem to have too much time on your hands lately! 

As I stated before, social media did not invent singles wanting to hook up! 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

No offense to the posters here, but this is another anti-youth, anti-technology rant that seems to come about with every generation as they age.

I know a  handful of people who truly never get on social media, but all of you on here look kind of silly complaining about it.

I feel reasonably confident asserting that Chamath Palihapitiya, at 41 and with his former positions at both AOL and Facebook, is neither anti-youth nor anti-technology.  With his background, if he's raising concerns about use of social media, we ought listen.  Not saying anyone has to agree with him, but dismissing his concerns out of hand seems foolish.

raising some concerns is a lot different than using the term "ripping apart society."

@sunshine45 That was the article's headline, not his words.  What he actually said was, "I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works."  I'm not debating semantics, but pointing out that his use of the words "ripping apart" were within the context of the metaphor of a social fabric. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Social media changed the way you meet people romantically.  You have strangers on computer eventually meeting and getting married.  It happened to my older sister. I met my husband the old way.  Through university, but computer dating was around when I was in college. And I tried it once.  It's changed somewhat, but still the way you meet people.  

@songbirdBefore "social media" there were "dating sites," where people presented their best selves.  If everyone on social media did that...presented their best selves, were looking to meet someone with whom to have a relationship...not necessarily romantic or sexual...this wouldn't even be a topic.

@esmerelda You're living in fantasy land! BEFORE social media as far as singles and dating are concerned there were the NEWSPAPER and MAGAZINE single columns that were anything from tame to downright SLEAZY and KINKY! You're old enough to remember them, this wasn't just invented!

@JaneMarpleSo in 12 hours the only posts you've found worthy of reply are mine?  I'm flattered.

BEFORE social media as we think of it today there was match.com.

@esmerelda retirement must be rough on you, you seem to have too much time on your hands lately! 

As I stated before, social media did not invent singles wanting to hook up! 

@JaneMarpleI didn't say that either.  So we can agree on that.

As far as retirment and time on my hands are concerned...you are here far more than I am.  And honestly, I don't know why you'd make such a comment.  ???

Keepin' it real.