Esteemed Contributor

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"

I think a distinction could be drawn between "peer-to-peer" (this forum) and those that are "public" (like Twitter).

Naturally each has an influence - for every action, there is a reaction - 

Cogito ergo sum
QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

Perhaps all those who disagree and dislike social media might be better served if they stayed off of it and let those who find it interesting and educating enjoy it without the constant negativity.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Perhaps all those who disagree and dislike social media might be better served if they stayed off of it and let those who find it interesting and educating enjoy it without the constant negativity.

@reiki604   Perhaps those who disagree should respect a polite discussion and the opinions of people who disagree with them about social media and stay off themselves instead of trying to shame others.  It's the ones who dislike those who dislike social media who should give it a rest.  

Honored Contributor

This sort of "the sky is falling" article happens every time there's some new diversion.  They are usually written by very nearsighted people.

The sky isn't falling!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@reiki604   Perhaps those who disagree should respect a polite discussion and the opinions of people who disagree with them about social media and stay off themselves instead of trying to shame others.  It's the ones who dislike those who dislike social media who should give it a rest.  

@Sooner Was there something impolite in my response? Or perhaps just a hypersensitivityk to an alternate opinion. I have found that when some thing causes me distress and is out of my control, it benefits my peace of mind to not be involved in what upsets me rather than continually putting myself in a position to be upset.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

So is world hunger.  Like many self entitled other's, he should use his platform to talk about something really affecting humanity.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

I could not agree with you more  @reiki604.   

This is the exact reason I came off of almost everything.  It was shocking to me especially last year how nasty and ugly and judgemental my own family got on just FB alone.  And they don't even see it. 

My little sister was apologizing to me as I walked out the door from Thanksgiving last year because I was the only person who felt a different way than everyone else about an issue. 

It started on FB and they spent the holiday discussing how right they were.  It was rude and, in my opinion, not appropriate for a holiday but they discussed it without my participation the entire day.  

My solution this year was to politely decline her invitation and spend the holiday alone.  I had a much better time but how sad is that when you run your own loved ones off just so you can be "right" about whatever stupid issue you are debating this week? 

In my opinion, if your social and/or world views are becoming more important than actual human beings especially those you created and/or have formed a family unit with, you need to unplug.

I find myself getting carried away at times too and I highly recommend taking a break and getting over yourself for a bit.  It's okay to be silent and not express an opinion or react to the latest news today.  You're not any less special for it.  

Honored Contributor

influencing society......yes

ripping it apart......no

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Its kinda sad, because what started out as technology that could be used to communicate with people around the world, and family/friends could reconnect and share whats going on in their lives despite living miles apart, fun things like sharing photos. Sadly it sees to have evolved into a vanity filled, self indulgent tool, some of which has emerged into an argumentative media, much of it hate-filled, and also privacy invasive 

A lot of bullying goes on with social media. Bullying is not just amongst tweens and teens.(you can even find it on this very forum) ....  You hear more and more court cases because of what someone said about another on social media .....Then there are untruths that are published which get passed around as "facts" just because it's on social media.....

And people used to talk about how much time people spend watching TV.....How much productivity is being lost in the work place because of employees spending time on their personal social media instead of working....how much does that translate into lost $$$ we are in essence all paying for....Plus some have turned into phone zombies spending a good part of their day with their head staring at a screen................Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”