Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,629
Registered: ‎12-12-2010

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"


@Spurt wrote:

Its kinda sad, because what started out as technology that could be used to communicate with people around the world, and family/friends could reconnect and share whats going on in their lives despite living miles apart, fun things like sharing photos. Sadly it sees to have evolved into a vanity filled, self indulgent tool, some of which has emerged into an argumentative media, much of it hate-filled, and also privacy invasive 

 

@Spurt...I couldn't agree more.  I deactivated my Facebook account last month and haven't missed it one bit.  I have no intention of reactivating it either, because of the very reasons you posted.  Do you think any of my friends (who have my phone number and email address) have reached out to me since I deactivated it, even just to say hey, what's up?   Only 1!

 

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"


@Trinity11 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I believe the good  far outweighs the bad. Rather than changing society/people, it exposes it/them. Being informed is a good thing.


I agree. If not for reading here I wouldn't encounter some of the attitudes and archaic belief systems some still cling to. Someone yesterday posted people need to stick with their own kind in a thread about multi-racial people in television advertisements. I thought I had entered the twilight zone....

 


Yes!  There are definitely some archaic attitudes and belief systems here.  I see it on a variety of topics, not just social media.

 

I also believe that the good far outweighs the bad.  Social media is not evil.  As with everything else, it needs to be used judiciously.  And in my experience, both here and in the real world, most people who are adamantly anti-something are not that well-informed about it.  This is evident here especially in the anti-Facebook posts.

 

Those who want to use social media should do so. Those who are critical are free to avoid it.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"


@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

Over 1/3 of marriages these days  are a result of folks meeting online. That's a big number.


@MaudlynnCouples who met online are three times more likely to divorce.


I would question that.

I met my DH online & we were married 13 years in October.

No sign of divorce.   Heart


Yes, I'm wondering where that statistic came from.

 

I met my husband the old-fashioned way (introduced by my college roommate), but I know many happily-married couples who met online and have been together for a long time.  It's an extremely common way to meet, and I don't know why those marriages would be less successful.  Once you've met and are dating, a relationship develops in its own way regardless of how you met in the first place. 

 

My husband and my college roommate knowing each other in advance of my relationship with him had absolutely nothing to do with the future of our marriage.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,143
Registered: ‎04-18-2012

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"


@esmerelda wrote:

So says a former FB exec. 

 

I don't have time at the moment to read the entire article (I've bookmarked it for later), but I certainly agree with the headline. 

 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/16761016/former-facebook-exec-ripping-apart-society

 

 

 

 

 

 


No ones forcing you all to post on these forums. If you don't like social media, be the example you wish to see in others. Bye. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"


@Trinity11 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@spot555 wrote:

Ah geez, why are some of you arguing about this stuff? 

 

I don't understand why everything always turns into a fight. Doesn't it take away from your good energy? Please stop it- it isn't worth the time or the energy. Heart

 

If you want something to get riled up over, look at the fake sky everyday. It's being doused with chemicals, all day, every day. Take note, people. 


@spot555  I'll tell you they fight over it.  Because we have a whole slew of intolerent people who have no use for anyone who is not in lock step with their views and beliefs.  And woe to anyone who disagrees with them about any one thing.  They immediately jump on others and label them with their own hate words and hot-button terms they use.  You have to believe everything they believe or them dismiss you as unworthy. 

 

They simply won't tolerate any views but their own, and they cloak themselves in terms of righteousness that are simply laughable.  Actually are sad because they can't see what they hate most is what they practice.  

 

At least I think that's why.  


I think it goes both ways. Everyone sees themselves as an innocent..it's always the other guy. However, some times a person can take just so much and needs to call out obvious intolerance. Personally, I rarely speak up because I don't care about strangers on the Internet with closed minds. However, that thread yesterday touched my own family and it was ignorant and lacking in tolerance. 

 

People need to stick with their own kind? If someone posts such gibberish, cannot and will not sit on my hands...


 

I had the same reaction.  It was shocking to read that.  I scrolled past, and then went back because I couldn't believe I had actually read those words.  And then, of course I felt I had to respond.  I couldn't let that one go. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Its kinda sad, because what started out as technology that could be used to communicate with people around the world, and family/friends could reconnect and share whats going on in their lives despite living miles apart, fun things like sharing photos. Sadly it sees to have evolved into a vanity filled, self indulgent tool, some of which has emerged into an argumentative media, much of it hate-filled, and also privacy invasive 

 

@Spurt...I couldn't agree more.  I deactivated my Facebook account last month and haven't missed it one bit.  I have no intention of reactivating it either, because of the very reasons you posted.  Do you think any of my friends (who have my phone number and email address) have reached out to me since I deactivated it, even just to say hey, what's up?   Only 1!

 


All of this is more about the people you choose to friend on Facebook than on Facebook itself.  If what you see on FB is "vanity-filled and self-indulgent", that's because your friends (chosen by you) are opting to post in that way.  And if friends don't reach out after an account is deactivated, again that's on the friends.  Not Facebook.

 

My experience with Facebook is very pleasant.  My family and friends live all over the world, and it has been amazing.  What I see there on a daily basis is not "argumentative" or "hate-filled", and there's certainly nothing that I would describe as "vanity-filled and self-indulgent".  I don't doubt that it exists - I know it does.  But not for me because the friends and family who I have chosen to be my Facebook friends don't post in that way.  Facebook provides a service.  The way in which your friends choose to use it is up to them, and your choice of friends is up to you.  Facebook is not the villain.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,966
Registered: ‎03-05-2011

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"

I personally have loved a lot about social media.   I have made so many friends online.  I mean real friends.  Going back about 8 years ago, I played a game called ice breakers that had a chat on the side.  There was about 8 of us that met there and are best friends today.   I think you have to watch what you say on these sites.  

 

I love facebook because you can pretty much post what you want unlike here.  You are poofed sometimes for not a good reason IMO.  Yet others can say what they want?  BUT-- I think they have some good forums here and a lot of good caring people here.

 

Facebook is a great way to connect with people, especially family.  I found family that I didn't know I had.  I had a student that was one of my first students that found me a few weeks ago.  That was so nice of her to try to find me and know how her life turned out.  I guess there is good and bad about everything.   IMO the news media is what i see detroying us the most.  I used to wake up and first thing was turn on the news.  I stopped doing that, and instead , I come to QVC to see what is going on and read emails.   I cannot listen to it anymore.

 

KIds are spending way too much time online.  Between the phones and facebook and all the others, how do they have any kind of life?   Oh well I am not going to change the world, so I might as well stop   LOL 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,504
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"


@NYC Susan wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Its kinda sad, because what started out as technology that could be used to communicate with people around the world, and family/friends could reconnect and share whats going on in their lives despite living miles apart, fun things like sharing photos. Sadly it sees to have evolved into a vanity filled, self indulgent tool, some of which has emerged into an argumentative media, much of it hate-filled, and also privacy invasive 

 

@Spurt...I couldn't agree more.  I deactivated my Facebook account last month and haven't missed it one bit.  I have no intention of reactivating it either, because of the very reasons you posted.  Do you think any of my friends (who have my phone number and email address) have reached out to me since I deactivated it, even just to say hey, what's up?   Only 1!

 


All of this is more about the people you choose to friend on Facebook than on Facebook itself.  If what you see on FB is "vanity-filled and self-indulgent", that's because your friends (chosen by you) are opting to post in that way.  And if friends don't reach out after an account is deactivated, again that's on the friends.  Not Facebook.

 

My experience with Facebook is very pleasant.  My family and friends live all over the world, and it has been amazing.  What I see there on a daily basis is not "argumentative" or "hate-filled", and there's certainly nothing that I would describe as "vanity-filled and self-indulgent".  I don't doubt that it exists - I know it does.  But not for me because the friends and family who I have chosen to be my Facebook friends don't post in that way.  Facebook provides a service.  The way in which your friends choose to use it is up to them, and your choice of friends is up to you.  Facebook is not the villain.


 

 

Ditto.

 

FB is what you, and your friends and family, make it. It’s not FB making unhappy, angry, bigoted or whatever posts, it’s individuals. My FB feed contains very little to no negativity, and what negativity there is, I probably agree with. I don’t Friend people who I know see things very differently to me and love to post about it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,199
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"

[ Edited ]

FB is not ripping apart society.  People are.  People now believe it's acceptable to be mean, nasty and rude since that's how so many in the public eye behave.  You will see it get worse until we have leaders who respect people and actually care about people...and call out the haters.

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,045
Registered: ‎04-28-2015

Re: "social media is ripping apart society"

Social media IS ripping apart society.  Yes, I believe that.  HOWEVER, it is up to each of us, individually, to decide how much you do or do not participate.

 

I, for one, have decided that I am not letting the "social media" part of society rule my existence.  I have backed away from using my computer as much lately.  I do not spend constant hours on these forums or anywhere else on the net because it was taking away time from other things I needed to do.  

 

I only keep the local news on in the morning to see what is going on and check the weather of course.  And, I watch the evening news, (local) and David Muir, of course, but after that, it goes back to either tv shows or put in a movie to watch.  I won't sit here and watch the national news constantly.   One time at night is enough for me.  

 

So, each of us have to decide what is best for us but I do not let "social media" rule my life.  Too much is wasting one's life away, I think.  I'm more productive and am quite, frankly, glad to step away from all the "mind control".  Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, lol!!!