Esteemed Contributor

Re: "raised by a single mother"

[ Edited ]

It is so very hard to raise children being a single mother and holding down a job to support those kids. Most can't afford to take a sick day from their job to care for a sick kid for fear of losing that job. 

My daughter at this very moment, is raising a 7 y/o and 4 y/o twins. Ex offers very little, only what he HAS to and no extras for the kids. And, forget time - he sees them a whoppiing 8 hrs a week. And, she works a full time job.

So, yes single mothers deserve all the credit and support we can give them.

Honored Contributor

I am baffled how someone could twist the common praise "raised by a single mother" from kudos to both the mother and child into limiting it to just the child. It's so obvious that the phrase refers to to both.

And then to wonder "...what the ratio is between single mothers who raise their children to adulthood and single mothers who are charged in the death of theirs"???

Something is bizarrely wrong here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I am baffled how someone could twist the common praise "raised by a single mother" from kudos to both the mother and child into limiting it to just the child. It's so obvious that the phrase refers to to both.

And then to wonder "...what the ratio is between single mothers who raise their children to adulthood and single mothers who are charged in the death of theirs"???

It is the usual baiting type thread.

Cause an uproar with off the wall thoughts and wait for the fall out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

I hear this...not a lot, but enough.  It's usually part of an introduction to someone, right up there with "graduated at the top of his class" or "attended (some great school)" or "started (some kind of) company"...like being raised by a single mother is something of which to be proud.

If anyone is proud it should be the "single mother"...I guess.

Why would it be included in the accomplishments of someone being talked about/introduced?

@esmerelda  I had a boss that won an award and the person introducing him said that he had won all these awards, was a great leader and was raised by a single mother. The boss got up and said, "I was raised by a strong christian woman". He then said he felt the phrase, "was raised by a single mother" was derogatory to his mother. It was suggesting that we would not expect a single mother to raise such an outstanding citizen.

doxie

edited to remove extra e from doxie

Super Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's so over used that's practically meaningless now.  No, I don't think that women who don't have husbands or the fathers of their children in the home have it any more difficult than any other parent.  Many are single mothers by choice, many have high paying jobs.  Many "single mothers" at all.  They aren't married but they living with a man (or woman).  There indeed are two parents raising the children.  Generally, I hear it from the women themselves, either want kudos for it or they want some break for it.  I had an experience in my nail shop once.  Some woman had the nerve to ask for a discount and her reason was she was a "single mom".  I think she saw the sign for senior discounts and thought she'd ask for one and the owner was rather rude when she said, no no way.  And then she said pointed at the women working in the shop and one by one and said.....she single mother, she single mother, she single mother.  You want me to take money from them and give it to you!!  

Really?  You've got to be kidding me.  You were obviously not a single mom.  I won't even tell you what I went through because you probably wouldn't believe me.  Being a married mom is so much easier.  By the way it wasn't a choice. 

@GSPgirl   My experience was no pleasure cruise and not by my choice either.

I worked 2 jobs at certain points; obviously Chrystaltree has never been a single mom.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

It is the usual baiting type thread.

Cause an uproar with off the wall thoughts and wait for the fall out.

Weird hobby.

Esteemed Contributor

@SoX wrote:

On the contrary ... I do get it.   Nothing wrong with my reading or comprehension ... or perspective.

..."like being raised by a single mother is something of which to be proud ..."

I think you changed your original post.

@SoX Yeah, you can tell because it says “last edited.”

Oh wait…it doesn’t say that. 🙄

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Where is the same praise for single fathers?  Where is the praise for "broken" homes that worked together for the sake of their child?  

Where is the praise for the grandparents that raise their grandchildren because their parents can't or won't?

Most single mothers usually have a grandparent around to help raise the child.  Because most single mothers are quite young.  So the grandparent steps in.  They get to raise two generations of kids. Often the single mom will go out to party and hopefully meet a new guy.  Because they are so young.  So she goes out while the grandparent stays home with the child. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this.

Honored Contributor

It is a little harder when you are a single mom.  You dont have 2 incomes, no one to share duties at home.  You are in charge of everything, drop off duty, pick up duty, homework, conferences, play dates, sports, extra curricular activities, moral ethics training,   Many single Moms do have the benefit of their parents, family pitching in.   But it is a solo duty in many respects.  My one daughter was a single mom.  We helped all the time, as we were close by.  But still it was a never ending job, and sometimes a very lonley job.  Finances are often a struggle for majority of single moms.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Where is the same praise for single fathers?  Where is the praise for "broken" homes that worked together for the sake of their child?  

Where is the praise for the grandparents that raise their grandchildren because their parents can't or won't?

Most single mothers usually have a grandparent around to help raise the child.  Because most single mothers are quite young.  So the grandparent steps in.  They get to raise two generations of kids. Often the single mom will go out to party and hopefully meet a new guy.  Because they are so young.  So she goes out while the grandparent stays home with the child. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this.

@songbird  There are single Mothers who are widows, divorcées. You aren’t only a single Mother if you have a baby at sixteen years old with no husband and only Grandparents around. There are many different situations.