Respected Contributor

Re: "raised by a single mother"

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

I'm not going to begrudge someone being proud of their mother or father. 

I cannot fathom why anyone would.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

For many women, it's not a choice.

As a child of a single mother, I can tell you that "back in the good old days," divorced women had it tough. You didn't have  deadbeat parent laws. Women in "pink collar" jobs tend to make less than men. Look it up.

A lot of women in the fities and sixties did what they "were supposed to do." Only Prinew Charming morphen in the Ugly Giant and then they were left with children to house, feed, and educate on their own.  It didn't matter if they were divorced or widowed, the end result was the same. It's tought growing up that way. By the way, I don't think being a mother/father is easy whatever the status of the parent. It might be easier if there proper resources of money, itme, and care. But ti can never be said that parenting is easy. Mayve the update is single-parent home?

Single mom/dad/grand/....kudos to all of you.

Honored Contributor

I also think the term is overused so it's now meant as an insult (which is a joke). I will say that when you hear it's a single father, the tone isn't the same as when you hear it's a single mother; wrong IMHO. When you hear that the grandparents are raising the child, it's "cluck cluck, what a shame" kind of tone and then "side eye, what did their kid do to screw up so badly so now THEY have to raise the child?!".

It's interesting how society assigns these instant "labels" and pre-judgement the moment they hear something like this. To me, ANYONE who is able to raise a happy, healthy, child to become a productive adult deserves praise; even more if they are doing it in a non-traditional way. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone who thinks I said anything about criticizing a single mother for being praised (and there are many of you!) needs to pay closer attention to words or brush up on comprehending what they read.

The mother is not being praised in the introduction.  The person being introduced is being praised.  The mother, most times, isn't even in the room, certainly isn't mentioned by name. 

Somehow the person being introduced/talked about has "raised by a single mother" as one of his/her accomplishments.  And I don't know why. 

SHE did the work.  Why does the raised child get the credit?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

I hear this...not a lot, but enough.  It's usually part of an introduction to someone, right up there with "graduated at the top of his class" or "attended (some great school)" or "started (some kind of) company"...like being raised by a single mother is something of which to be proud.

If anyone is proud it should be the "single mother"...I guess.

Why would it be included in the accomplishments of someone being talked about/introduced?

I really don't understand your post. Are you a single mom?  I was and it was hard, but we got through it.  A child is just saying that they were raised by a single mom and how proud they are of the parent.  I don't think they are bragging by any means. 

@GSPgirl wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

I hear this...not a lot, but enough.  It's usually part of an introduction to someone, right up there with "graduated at the top of his class" or "attended (some great school)" or "started (some kind of) company"...like being raised by a single mother is something of which to be proud.

If anyone is proud it should be the "single mother"...I guess.

Why would it be included in the accomplishments of someone being talked about/introduced?

I really don't understand your post. Are you a single mom?  I was and it was hard, but we got through it.  A child is just saying that they were raised by a single mom and how proud they are of the parent.  I don't think they are bragging by any means. 

@GSPgirl  and the rest who don't get it.  Read it again with an open mind.  The child isn't saying anything.  He/she is being talked about/introduced by someone else and "raised by a single mom" is apparently part of his resume.

Why?  It belongs on the mom's resume..."Raised a successful/happy adult."

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Having just seen a news story about the death of a toddler, I wonder what the ratio is between single mothers who raise their children to adulthood and single mothers who are charged in the death of theirs. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

On the contrary ... I do get it.   Nothing wrong with my reading or comprehension ... or perspective.

..."like being raised by a single mother is something of which to be proud ..."

I think you changed your original post.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Having just seen a news story about the death of a toddler, I wonder what the ratio is between single mothers who raise their children to adulthood and single mothers who are charged in the death of theirs. 

Why would anyone wonder about such a thing?

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@esmerelda  What an odd thing to think about. JMO.

I know exactly what you are getting at. I have seen it before around here. 

Hopefully this thread will die out soon.

Honored Contributor

The bitterness is strong with this one.