Respected Contributor

I noticed that almost every host says things like "I want to call out that this is on easy pay" and "I want to call out that this offer expires at the end of the day."  

Prior to hearing it on QVC, I had never heard that.  I guess it adds another syllable to stretch out the time more than just saying "I want to SAY that this is on easy pay" or better yet, "This item is on easy pay."  Smiley Happy 

I'm being silly, of course.  We all use different words.  Another one that makes me laugh is "welcome ON IN."  It used to be one particular host who said it, but now I hear others saying it too.  I've always just said "welcome" or "welcome in."

Esteemed Contributor

@santorini wrote:

I noticed that almost every host says things like "I want to call out that this is on easy pay" and "I want to call out that this offer expires at the end of the day."  

Prior to hearing it on QVC, I had never heard that.  I guess it adds another syllable to stretch out the time more than just saying "I want to SAY that this is on easy pay" or better yet, "This item is on easy pay."  Smiley Happy 

I'm being silly, of course.  We all use different words.  Another one that makes me laugh is "welcome ON IN."  It used to be one particular host who said it, but now I hear others saying it too.  I've always just said "welcome" or "welcome in."

@santorini...you are not being silly.  I find some of the phrases comical.  Your thread is wonderful...finding a spot of laughter in a day where there is so much anxiety and hardship.  Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

"Let me just call out" makes no sense to me.  What the heck?  They just made that up.  

Honored Contributor

You need a hobby....lol

Honored Contributor

Don't get me started on "Welcome on in." Gaah!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@santorini wrote:

Okay, I'm ready now.  Go ahead and call it out.

Image result for squirrel wearing earmuffs

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I don't recall having heard anyone say that, ever. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Shawn does a lot of 'calling out' and also uses 'sidebar' frequently. In fact I think she started the whole calling out thing and it spread to the others. I don't even watch QVC much anymore, mostly drivebys during ads or for very short periods while waiting for one of my shows to come on some other channel and I still catch her using those two.

Respected Contributor

I shop from QVC on line.  I do not watch very often.

What I can say is that I noticed on the news, local and national, there's a lot of "so and so SPEAKS OUT".   What's with the "speak OUT" ?   Do they mean that whoever it is is speaking out instead of speaking IN ?

Just having fun here, please don't tell me to get a life Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Actually, "call out" and "sidebar" are very common terms used mostly in corporate meetings and presentations.  I've heard it and used it countless times over the past 30 years.  You usually hear "call out" from people giving presentations to a group.   "Sidebar" is usually in meetings.  I even love to say sidebar when someone asks a question that has nothing to do with the topic of the meeting (really irritates me).  Smiley Happy  Everyone knows that means to stay on topic next time.

I don't know how the QVC hosts are using it.  They are probably picking up words used in their host meetings.