Honored Contributor

Re: "You Won’t Believe How Much Americans Are Spending on Weddings"

So if someone wants to throw one big happy party in their life .... when better than with a wedding?     Why not?

It stimulates the local economy (florists, caterers, etc etc etc), and lots of pictures are taken.

I don't think anyone should go into debt for an elaborate wedding .... but, hey, it's their money.   Live and let live.

Honored Contributor

I'm going back to read this ... Yes, I haven't red it yet, but I can tell you that it's  beyond words what weddings cost. What your kids expect ... what you need to do to cut the costs of what is expected.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

Of course I agree, that is their money and they can spend it how they like. I do also think it is very sad looking at those statistics knowing the income statistics because there are only few that can actually afford it. If you have to get a loan to pay for your wedding, IMO and the opinion of financial experts, you cannot afford it. When friends I have known for years mention how tight they are on money and we don't know their exact yearly income but know it is most definitely in the top 5%, that speaks to a huge problem. 

You can tell by looking at older homes that they didn't nearly have the debt and obsession with material items and consumerism that we do. Just by looking at closet size and size of home, they lived much simpler. 

Working through 2 different charities, you can see the mindset of even the poorest. I have met single moms living under the poverty line that think it is ok to spend $100 for a pair of shoes or get mani's and pedis every two weeks. Bringing in people to teach them about finances has been a must. It is shocking the amount of even college educated people who have no idea how to handle their finances and save. This thinking is in every aspect of our society. Right down to how our own nation encourages you to get credit and make sure you keep that credit report high. They want you to be in debt. Many people don't even realize you can buy a house or a car without no credit rating. 

People would rather spend 1/3 of their yearly salary on car/payments rather than saving a few months and buying something they can afford. 

I have traveled a lot and even lived in other countries and I have never seen other people live like even poor Americans here do. Way beyond their means. Technically it isn't our business but when people default, we are all affected. 

I really wish that we had mandatory basic finances taught in high school and going over real life scenarios including college loans and showing the different options at good but cheaper schools. 

The weddings to me are just the tip of the iceberg of a much larger problem. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Couples don't care how much they spend, if they are not paying for it.  Most weddings I have attended, the couple has paid for most if all of it.  That's the way it should be. Sure the parents can help. Dont't expect dad to be happy when he forked over $100,000 for the big day, and his daughter divorces a few  years into the marriage.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What ever happened to Little House On The Prairie when you wore your Ma's dress to get married in!  Ha!

Honored Contributor

I find going into debt (parents OR newlyweds) for a $100k wedding to be something so off the charts that IMHO it's ludicrous.  If the family has that kind of money for a lavish wedding then by all means.... but most people don't.

A lot of girls dream of their "big day" and strive for IT rather than celebrating the love for the young man with a celebration that they all can afford.  A 100k can put a down on a house, buy furniture,  couple of cars, etc. etc....

Have the money?  Go for it!  But think more than twice about going into debt to pay for it!!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

@september wrote:

I think what's changed significantly from the past, is the food.  I remember  so many bad wedding meals (like Swanson's tv dinners).  The more recent weddings I've been to had fabulous food, including my son's wedding. Good food=more money.

Another thing I saw often in the past...cash bars.  I'd never invite anyone to a party and make them pay for their drinks!

Cash bars are the EPITOME of tacky and cheap. I've NEVER been to a wedding where the guests had to pay for cocktails. I've also NEVER been to a wedding reception where all that was served was cake and punch. 

Esteemed Contributor

My opinion ? Worry about your own self.
Cash bar ? Bring cash or a flask or a bottle or 3 if that's important to you.

Honor the bride and groom or stay home.

I'm still stunned by the fire house reception. LOLZ
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Weddings and Funerals are both just way over rated and expensive. I had a $25 justice of the peace wedding ceremony 35 years ago. Plan on a Cremation. 

Honored Contributor

@KALLIE wrote:

@september wrote:

I think what's changed significantly from the past, is the food.  I remember  so many bad wedding meals (like Swanson's tv dinners).  The more recent weddings I've been to had fabulous food, including my son's wedding. Good food=more money.

Another thing I saw often in the past...cash bars.  I'd never invite anyone to a party and make them pay for their drinks!

Cash bars are the EPITOME of tacky and cheap. I've NEVER been to a wedding where the guests had to pay for cocktails. I've also NEVER been to a wedding reception where all that was served was cake and punch. 

I agree, and it's tacky. I did not want my guests to have to pay anything.