Respected Contributor

Re: "You Won’t Believe How Much Americans Are Spending on Weddings"

[ Edited ]

Yes I can believe it! I simply don't know where they get all the money from to pay for their weddings. I went to a wedding last year of a friend of mine who it's her third marriage btw and they spent over $50k on their wedding. I was expected to get a bridal shower gift, a bachelorette gift, a wedding gift and had to pay for the trip up to the resort and the hotel. It is expensive just as a guest, not just for the groom and bride. I told her not to get married anymore as I won't be going to her 4th wedding...lol

Honored Contributor

I agree with MJ12 and KALLIE. Not everyone wants a budget wedding. Some people want to go all out and clearly the stats prove that. And that does NOT mean that everyone who has a fancy wedding is going into debt to have one. Some people work hard and play hard and have the means for the big wedding, nice ring and a nice home. To each his own....

Respected Contributor

I think IF they have that money to spend that way, good. But I woudn't start out a new life together in debt for a something that isn't affordable.

Respected Contributor

Part of a team that caters all types of events and can honestly say we encourage couples not to spend money that they really cannot afford. Try to tell our couples people will remember the good time they had with family and friends and it does not have them in debt for years. But some just want every thing to be breath taking and cost is not a concern and you can't give them any advice.

Respected Contributor

I would use that money for a down payment on a house.

Honored Contributor

Why do people care how others choose to spend their money?

Some here love to predict the demise of others' marriages. 

Doom and gloom runs rampant in this forum.

Honored Contributor

Considering inflation I'm not surprised. I remember 10k being the talked about number in the '80s

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I don't even think $32,000 is all that much if that's the kind of wedding you want.  One hundred to one hundred fifty people to a sit-down dinner and dancing doesn't seem over the top to me, and unfortunately things are expensive.

Honored Contributor

I don't think $32,000 is over the top...not by California standards where some venue sites start at $15,000...just to get in the gates.

My son got married 3 years ago, and I didn't ask what the overall cost of his wedding was. It was split between him and his wife, her parents, and me.  My portion (rehearsal dinner and wedding bar bill) was about $10,000.

No one went into debt...and my son still had money for a down payment on a home a short while later.

Respected Contributor

We spent 3 grand, had 30 people, I wore a silk suit from Lord and Taylors w/matching pumps, pearl headband.

We really spent most of the money on an excellent French restaurant, great wines/champagne and the food was outstanding, lovely flowers.

It was exacty what I had envisioned-subtle, European in feel, family and friends.