Super Contributor

Re: "You Won’t Believe How Much Americans Are Spending on Weddings"

I don't understand paying that much for a party.  I got married at a courthouse and been married foreva. 

Ive always been money conscious. I do want a pretty wedding dress though, I never had  one. 😪😪😪

Honored Contributor

I don't care what anyone spends on their wedding.  As long as they don't ask me to pay for it.  It's important to some people, to others, not so much.

Respected Contributor

I don't care what people spend on weddings either.  It's their business.

I was happy with mine - that's all that really counts. 

Both of my kids say they want a destination wedding.  Fine with me!

Honored Contributor

I just got home from my daughters.  Do you know what my grandson's Tuxedo cost to rent for the prom... $195!  My daughter said before it's all said and done..... this prom will cost them over  $400.  I hate to think what it's costing the girls parents!

Respected Contributor

After spending a bundle of money on a wedding, many don't even stay married.  Then they want a 2nd wedding and expect a second gift.

Honored Contributor

Lots of people are definitely spending more than I would, but they're not spending my money, so I don';t really care all that much -   or not as much as I do when college kids spend big chunks of their student loans for spring break trips or beer and pizza and then expect the rest of us to pay off those loans.

I do wish, though, that the bride and the groom would spend as much time talking about the marriage as they do about the wedding and the honeymoon. 

Esteemed Contributor

DS is not happy that he must attend a destination wedding later this month. Will cost him at least $1000.00 and two days off work, and he is not a member of the bridal party. Without saying too much, he must attend. All involved are in their 20's, except the groom who is several years older. He is working extra jobs to pay for their special day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seriously, I would insist on a Diamonique ring in a 14K gold setting.  That way, I'd have a much larger engagement 'diamond'.  Unless the groom-to-be has a lot of money, that is.  p.s. The Q does guarantee those Diamonique stones to always be brilliant, no clouding, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Adamlambert wrote:

I don't understand paying that much for a party.  I got married at a courthouse and been married foreva. 

Ive always been money conscious. I do want a pretty wedding dress though, I never had  one. 😪😪😪

So did we.  And I never attended a prom, so I guess the whole 'formal gown' experience just passed me by.

Trusted Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

I don't care what anyone spends on their wedding.  As long as they don't ask me to pay for it.  It's important to some people, to others, not so much.

I AGREE. If people/parents want to spend a LOT of money on weddings, that's THEIR business, no one else's