Valued Contributor

Re: "You Won’t Believe How Much Americans Are Spending on Weddings"

I must have 'poorer' friends because I've noticed a trend of smaller more inexpensive weddings rather than the big extravagant ones. Have a wedding planner acquaintance that says people are requesting more intimate personalized weddings and her own was in a barn with hay bales as seats (they own a farm). Wondering where these big weddings are happening, in city/urban areas?.... because where I live its still more common to do the affordable wedding.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@september

ITA with what you said.  I am very insulted by some of the comments.  How do people know what other people have, or their life situations.  Why would anyone be an idiot to give their daughter a wedding?  And why does a big wedding mean they will wind up in divorce court.?  I know people who paid 10 dollars for a marriage license and still wound up in divorce, and those that are still married after 50 years..  Things are just expensive these days.  A 1,000 wedding 40 years ago would cost 40,000 for the same thing.

Where I live many young couples are in their mid 20's early 30's before they marry the first time.  They have been to college, started  careers, and have saved.

Agreed!  these financially successful couples are paying for a great party for their family and friends.  Why would anyone have an issue with that?

Most couples marrying these days are not 18 year-olds, who have just graduated from high school and are still living at home with mom and dad.  And mom and dad may pay for some of the wedding expenses, but it isn't usually the case where they pay for everything anymore.

The year is 2016!  (not 1966)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september @shoekitty  Interesting comments y'all must know some very MATURE and WISE couples.....many of the people I know have sons or daughters and the parents spent BIG BUCKS on weddings that didn't last more than 2-3 years and now their kids and grand kids are back living with the parents.....the kids don't have jobs or have only a part-time job (because whose going to watch the kids, the parents are the bread winners and working full time and their kid can't afford child care) so now the parents support both their kids and grandkids......so much for that big wedding.....and they are 22 and 23 years old with 2 or 3 kids and now know spouse....and what their ex-spouse makes (most escape by going back to school and have low paying part time job so they get very little in child support for these kids---maybe a total of $150-$250 a month for all the kids which doesn't pay for rent/utilities/food/clothes car payments and insurance...Oh and then the situation is even more complicated because the grandkids can have different fathers from prior relationships.....There's a lot of "modern" families of this type out there......yep definitely NOT 1966 Smiley

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Here is an inflation calculator.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Yes, today's prices far outweigh those from last century but it's up to those involved to decide what is affordable and what isn't.

My wedding dress cost all of $200 and that included the veil.  ROTFL!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Frequent Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

It's a sympton of more money than sense, truly isn't it?

@Sooner

Just curious ... why are so many people so snarky about what people spend on a wedding?   

I can understand it if people have very little money they should definitely keep it simple, but if they can afford something bigger, so what?    

I'm snarky because my ex was so into "appearances". That should have been a big ol' warning sign because I'm not. We spent money I would have rather spent on a home (my father's money!) on a big showy wedding. Then 6 weeks later I found out what a fake he was by coming across stuff on his computer. I'm sure if I didn't have that experience I wouldn't roll my eyes so much but I do. 

Frequent Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Two weeks after my friend returned from her honeymoon, her parents told her they were getting a divorce.

Oh no!

Frequent Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

My wedding dress cost all of $200 and that included the veil.  ROTFL!

Me too. But then I outgrew it and had to buy another $200 dress. Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Spurt...I haven't heard of any couples in their early 20's getting married in ages.  All have been late 20's-early 30's or older.

When my son was planning his wedding, they planned on paying for everything themselves, and I offered to pitch in.  They accepted my offer, but then gifted me with a beautiful hotel suite near the wedding venue for 4 days/nights!

And they now have two young daughters and don't ever plan on ever living with me!!!  they have an awesome home.