Honored Contributor

Re: "You Have to Fake it to Make it"-agree or disagree?

@RoughDraft wrote:

@JBKO wrote:

yes Fake it til' you make it. I just wanted everything to fit in the space provided.

There is quite a difference between the two sentences.  Faking till you make it might indicate a person is initially insecure and trying to show a brave front until he/she gains insight or experience.

Faking it TO make it, to me, indicates a person is purposely lying about their qualifications in order to pull the wool over proverbial eyes and it's not the original adage.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@JBKO. "Fake it until you make it" is the way I heard it. I see it referring to professionals. If I go to  medical, dental or atty. office, my first impression (unfortunately) clues me in how well they are doing which means they are good in their field....nice furnishings, artwork, clean & neat atmosphere count as well. It makes the practice look successful. If I walk into a shabby, medical office, it's a sign there aren't enough patients to to fix up the waiting area. That's not the doc I'd choose. Superficial? Yes, but first impressions are lasting impressions. 

@Shanus What about professionals that on the surface appear to be smart and have nice big offices but the furnishings are one step away from being repossessed, are mortgaged up to their eyeballs, owe back taxes and are con artists? By having nice artwork means that we the patients will be paying triple the going rate so that the pompous doctor can afford to pay for it!

My sister goes to a Neurologist who is brilliant but his office is 1960's decor, I'll take him over any charismatic no nothing any day of the week. All that glitters is not gold!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

In this particular instance,I think some of us are getting snarled on the word "fake."  To me, it's a temporary stop-gap when someone is under pressure or insecure about a certain path or role they find themselves in...while they are "learning."   Or showing a positive side of yourself when you're helping an ailing friend or relative or when you're going through some crisis. Putting one foot in front of the other to get through another day and many times one finds oneself actually getting to the other side.

It's not, nor shouldn't be applied to a physician, a scientist, a politician, a researcher who actually isn't capable in his/her field of endeavor even though they managed to get through school by cheating. They are charlatans and a danger to society in general

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

Am going through this right now ! Could not have said it better myself.
Honored Contributor

A similar quote would be "Feel the fear but do it anyway". Like driving on icy roads.

But faking anything, for me, feels like lying and I don't fly that way. Besides if I were working, that would almost be like "assuming" I was doing it right. Depending on the job, I sure wouldn't want that attitude. Nor would I want someone doing my surgery, guessing.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

"Fake it till you make it"  is the way I heard it

like pretend you are happy until you are

it's what I have done all this year since my Dad died last Dec

but now I have decided I will once again find authentic happiness, I'm determined

No one knows how unhappy/sad that I have been, faking it

@Mary Bailey, I hope you allow yourself time to grieve. You need to do that.

Honored Contributor

Not sure what this means.  

In one context, I think it could relate to a person's job or career.  You might not be fully qualified or experienced, but if you appear confident and able to perform the duties and have the attitude, people perceive that you are able and qualified to perform the duties.  And after awhile, when you are actually more experienced, thhen you have made it.  Hence, the expression --- "fake it to make it".

In another context --- how you feel about yourself and your life in general.  You might not be happy at all but if you put on the smile and try to act like everything is hunky-dory, perhaps you can convince yourself and others that you are happy and that things are going well.  I have had days where I was in a really bad mood and didn't want to even step one foot out the door, but I pushed myself to smile and be pleasant and then things did turn around.  It doesn't always work!  Another case of "fake it to make it" or "fake it until you make it."

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

No

If you are not "there" from the start the journey to the end has been pretense, not authentic.

What may have been gained,augmented was with a lost/cost, self value.

Honored Contributor

I'm wondering ...  Is this post about the main stream news media or about politicians?   Woman LOL

Both fake it ... but eventually they are caught!

Honored Contributor

You don't HAVE TO fake it, but sometimes you might want to.  Those are two different things in my mind.