Honored Contributor

Re: "You Have to Fake it to Make it"-agree or disagree?

Who would want a dr. or attorney that was faking it? Not me

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I disagree.

I believe one 'fake(s) it' until they realize that 'making it' that way is not worth the degradation to their spirit, nor (probably) is 'it" worth it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I had an attorney joke around with me and tell me that he went to law school to learn how to lie. Something tells me there is some truth in that no pun intended lolSmiley Tongue

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

I'd find a different attorney, I don't think that is funny

Honored Contributor

I don't think it necessarily follows that people will "make it." A lot of people go through life "faking it" because they prefer their fake persona to their genuine selves and are sure others will prefer the "fake them" as well.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

It's not something I'd do, but I see it done at work.  It boggles my mind how people get away with it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shawn Killinger said this to Martha Stewart on her Apprentice show years ago - and was subsequently sent home!!

Honored Contributor

This explains a lot.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Fake it till you make it .....first time I ever heard it was in an Al-Anon meeting. It's one of their slogans. What it means is that even if you are having difficulty with the alcoholic in your life and you are struggling with them, you need to believe in yourself and eventually you will "make it" and it will all come easily.

A good example might be....an alcoholic parent is driving you crazy. You learn how to deal with the alcoholic in your life at Al-Anon and even though all the precepts may be new to you, with time if you fake it in your own mind that you can deal with this person, eventually you will become adept at it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Fake it till you make it .....first time I ever heard it was in an Al-Anon meeting. It's one of their slogans. What it means is that even if you are having difficulty with the alcoholic in your life and you are struggling with them, you need to believe in yourself and eventually you will "make it" and it will all come easily.

A good example might be....an alcoholic parent is driving you crazy. You learn how to deal with the alcoholic in your life at Al-Anon and even though all the precepts may be new to you, with time if you fake it in your own mind that you can deal with this person, eventually you will become adept at it.

I spent many years in Gam-A-Non meetings and 'fake it until you make it' was never part of living with an addict. The Serenity Prayer, yes !