Esteemed Contributor

Re: "You Have to Fake it to Make it"-agree or disagree?

I agree with the original quote - fake it until you make it. The quote is meant to be something positive.   I think we all do it at different times.  Maybe we’re feeling sad but say we’re fine.  We may put on a brave face when we’re not feeling brave at all.  I had a boss who was very cruel and enjoyed saying cruel things.  I acted like it didn’t bother me, even though it did, so he backed off.  On the other hand, another woman got very emotional so he targeted her even more.  There are times and places where fake it until you make it can be a positive/good thing. 

Respected Contributor

I'll give you a perfect example of faking it unti you make it as it pertains to employment.  I was on the phone with customer service and asked how they arrived at the refund amount as when I subtracted out 6.95 and 3.00 I got a different number, one that was higher.  

The rep did not know what she was saying and spoke jibberish even quoting me an incorrect dollar amt of the item though it was right there in front of me to immediately call her on it.   But, I didnt.  It suddenly occurred to me why I was given that particular refund amount.  

Each item - there were 2 - were shipped in separate packaging boxes so there were 2 charges of 6.95.  After the refund had been processed by the warehouse you could no longer see the tracking information or I would not have placed the call.  I'm sure they get a lot of calls like that and apparently she could not see the tracking numbers either for never once did she mention 6.95 twice.  When I explained to the rep how the warehouse arrived at their figure, she never once thanked me.  Instead she arrogantly said, I'm glad I have helped you.  No, she did not help me.  She can now take her new knowledge though and help others.  She faked it but it will help her down the road to make it.  

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Yes, I agree with it. But I also understand it's appllication and limits. Most of the replies here clearly don't understand the meaning of the phrase but I don't have to time to explain it as I have to go pick up my kid. 

Oh! Sorry we are all so stupid.

Esteemed Contributor

No I don't agree with this. I think if you are completely faking what you are doing, you will never be successful. However there are times when no one is completely 100% sure what they're doing and do fake it at times and faking confidence. That is quite different from faking it to make it. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK