@Alice-QVC wrote:

Hi @hildyjohnson Your thread is back!

Hooray!

Thank you, thank you, @Alice-QVC, for finding and fixing the glitch! ❤️

Frequent Contributor

Re: "Words to use with caution: ‘But’"

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

What happened?

@YorkieonmyPillow The thread vanished completely and the moderators told me none of them closed or removed it, then @Alice-QVC fixed the problem. Smiley Happy

We're back in business. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

IMG_1447.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Whether you use but or and, a pause in the sentence indicates that there is about to be a turn.  And professionals have been taught to give give a postive before delivering a negative in communication.  Regardless of the words used or not used, you can usally tell what is meant by the speaker's body language if you are face to face with them.

Honored Contributor

Ahh - the infamous (and ubiquitous) "Sorry, BUT..."

As you say (and as we all know and understand), anything before the "but" is negated, so we all understand that "Sorry, but" means the person using it is in NO WAY "sorry."  Saying it isn't just an excuse for being rude, saying it is often used specifically to be rude while claiming not to be, solely because the word "sorry" prefaces a word which tells you it's not true.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

hildyjohnson...I read it twice and it makes a lot of sense. From this day forward I am going to make very effort to be careful when using the word "but".  Thank you for posting this.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

thank you for posting this.

there was a discussion here some time ago that addressed the usage of the word but. 

since then, i really try not to use that word, but mostly i'll say and instead.,

Valued Contributor

isnt that but,a compliment wrapped in an insult?somone last  summer said  to me your so pretty ,but i thought  you  would  be a big girl...After meeting me for the first time , because my husband  is a large man? yes that but.....Maryanne 

Esteemed Contributor

This sounds like something an HR department came up with in case they need a "reason" to fire someone.

Frequent Contributor

@software@on the bay@Still keeper of the koi@YorkieonmyPillow@Lindsays Grandma@LilacTree@Dawnie@GCR18@Moonchilde@sidsmom@TaylorBrown@ladyroxanne

Thank you for your contributions! ( I hope I didn't omit a name.)

Having computer problems but I wanted to return to thank you. The linguistics site from which this was sourced is interesting, for those who are intrigued by language and communication.  

Adding a note to @MacDUFF since I recall your fascinating thread about our use and misuse of language. 😊

Have a great day fellow posters! 😊