Trusted Contributor

Re: "Why Are The Baby Boomers In Such a Bad Mood?"

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I still miss my old Nissan 280ZX.

I do NOT miss my bright orange Datsun B-210.

OMG @Moonchilde

We had an orange Datsun, too.  For a long time, DH's favorite color was orange.  I suffered through the Datsun and a living room rug he picked out.

@Noel7, I had a Ford Maverick, which I LOVED (even had bench seats), when gas rationing hit. It got 12-1/2 mi to the gallon. So I bought the stick shift Datsun. Oh, how I hated using a stick, and that car!

@Moonchilde~~~This is too weird!  My first car was a Ford Maverick and I LOVED it!  I was seventeen, just graduated high school, and landed my first job at the hospital. My Dad went with me to the Ford dealership and that's what I picked out. He had to co-sign of course, but I was thrilled to death....for a while....until....the panic set in! 

The payments were $78.31 a month, which I thought was a fortune and I wondered how I would ever do it!  I did, but that was my first real financial obligation. 

It cost a whopping four dollars to fill it up and I could go for 2 1/2 weeks on one tank and that included eight miles twice a day to get to the hospital. 

I ran that car to death, then when I sold it, I learned it lasted many more years after! 

Honored Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

OMG @Moonchilde

We had an orange Datsun, too.  For a long time, DH's favorite color was orange.  I suffered through the Datsun and a living room rug he picked out.

@Noel7, I had a Ford Maverick, which I LOVED (even had bench seats), when gas rationing hit. It got 12-1/2 mi to the gallon. So I bought the stick shift Datsun. Oh, how I hated using a stick, and that car!

@Moonchilde~~~This is too weird!  My first car was a Ford Maverick and I LOVED it!  I was seventeen, just graduated high school, and landed my first job at the hospital. My Dad went with me to the Ford dealership and that's what I picked out. He had to co-sign of course, but I was thrilled to death....for a while....until....the panic set in! 

The payments were $78.31 a month, which I thought was a fortune and I wondered how I would ever do it!  I did, but that was my first real financial obligation. 

It cost a whopping four dollars to fill it up and I could go for 2 1/2 weeks on one tank and that included eight miles twice a day to get to the hospital. 

I ran that car to death, then when I sold it, I learned it lasted many more years after! 

How funny, @jackiejenny!

My first car was a VW Automatic bug, a 1968 bought in 1970. I liked it a lot, but wanted a "nicer" car so went with the Maverick. I think it was a 1972 I bought in 1973. It was that horribly mustard-y, baby-poo yellow 🙀.  I loved driving it and my friends liked it too - except for the color, lol.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

OMG @Moonchilde

But put that in perspective to what salaries were then.  It may be a whole other perspective on that! 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

OMG @Moonchilde

But put that in perspective to what salaries were then.  It may be a whole other perspective on that! 

There were times when I would only put 50 cents in my '70 VW bug🙂

Trusted Contributor

Re: "Why Are the Baby Boomers in Such a Bad Mood?"

I get in a bad mood when I remember that I used to carry a membership card for N.O.W. to advance the rights and social equalities of women. NOW I see that my efforts resulted in the right of females to speak in baby voices and photograph themselves naked while doing the "duck pout" and generally caring more about physical appearance than the world around them. Seems like we went backwards a little. When feminism is proclaimed to be dead or unnecessary because the snowflakes just don't think there is anything of value there...

Yeah, I get crabby that way.

But when a young woman breaks through to speak clearly, engage her brain to learn and grow, and exhibits a desire to learn from others and explore her potential, the clouds part and I think that perhaps all is not lost.

I'm a late Boomer and look silly doing the "duck pout."

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

OMG @Moonchilde

There were times when I would only put 50 cents in my '70 VW bug🙂

At the time I had my bug, It cost me $3 to fill the tank. Salary for my first job two years before that was $319 a month - good wages for a first job back then. I'd had a chance to work for a "local" travel agency that did trips to Hawaii but chose the other job because the agency was only paying $275/mo. It's now a national, huge travel agency offering worldwide tours. I often wonder how my life might have been different if I'd taken that job and developed a travel bug and different mindset. You could buy a newly-built 1 br condo (a new concept in CA at that time) for $22,000.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Why Are the Baby Boomers in Such a Bad Mood?"

@handygal2

Thought this would be an interesting read, until I found out the source: New York Slimes.  Once a trusted publication, it is now a publication I'd never read or reference.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

The boomers thought that they were too cool to get old and become invisible. Low and behold it did happen. I remember when I was in my 40's and my son was a teenager, people thought we were brother and sister, I ate that up. I remember my son telling me that the baby boomers were holding the popular music hostage, but not for long! LOL   Now I'm retired and invisible and my millennial son is working for a big tech company and believe me they think they are cooler and smarter than we ever were.

What a bunch of baloney.  Too cool to get old, speak for yourself.

Well we did say "don't trust anyone over 30" and then we said 60 is the new 40. Old is definitely not a concept we embrace.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

The boomers thought that they were too cool to get old and become invisible. Low and behold it did happen. I remember when I was in my 40's and my son was a teenager, people thought we were brother and sister, I ate that up. I remember my son telling me that the baby boomers were holding the popular music hostage, but not for long! LOL   Now I'm retired and invisible and my millennial son is working for a big tech company and believe me they think they are cooler and smarter than we ever were.

Every generation feels this way in their 20's and 30's. They think they are smarter than everyone else, cooler than everyone else, that they know it all, that they are invincible. They scoff at any other generation. But it's all an ego-created illusion. They will find out when they get older. Hopefully, by their 40's, they will have opened their eyes a bit to see what's going on in the rest of the world -- not just focus on themselves and what's going on in their own little bubbles.

Respected Contributor

SaRina wrote: 
Every generation feels this way in their 20's and 30's. They think they are smarter than everyone else, cooler than everyone else, that they know it all, that they are invincible. They scoff at any other generation. But it's all an ego-created illusion. They will find out when they get older. Hopefully, by their 40's, they will have opened their eyes a bit to see what's going on in the rest of the world -- not just focus on themselves and what's going on in their own little bubbles.

DH and I are seeing this inside our own family.  Our son and his wife are approaching 40 and have a young family.  It has been interesting to watch as their values change, their spending slow down.  They're more careful, more appreciative of the hard work living 'the good life' (and I mean more than the acquisition of things) takes.  It's brought knowing smiles to our faces as we've watched the maturity happen. 

Before closing, I will add that I have no problem taking a back seat to the next generation.  It is a law of nature after all, and, if we, the older generation, did our job right in raising our children, passing the baton is reward for a job well done.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.