Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Why Are The Baby Boomers In Such a Bad Mood?"

@Moonchilde wrote:

@StraytoStay wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Naki-Poo wrote:

I believe that most of them are afraid of dying one day. I believe that if you have a few bucks i mean more than 20K you need to start having fun and travel cause who will get your money your grand kids and they will spend it faster than it took you 50 yrs of working will ever.  I dont have any grandkids.. thank god for us. I chose to travel. my kids do not care about me or my traveling they say mom, dad go and have some fun.. I have 8 children and they all live in different states and dont want any kids.. good for me, not so good for them when they get old.

I chose not to have gd kids for a few reasons, its gonna cost me bucks, I do have bucks i want to use my retirement on clothes and travel, which I love the best and my cats and dogs as well.

I feel that baby boomers can not give their grand kids the things that they gave their own kids so they rely on us. What can I say.

I also told all my kids when they first got a job I get half of their pay, each of them, two went into military no pay on them, but the rest gave it to me no questions, even my little Natalie who worked for 40.00 a day at a daycare she still managed to give me 20 bucks, when it was time for her to go to college I had saved enough money to give her the education she wanted, even if its only part time work. The boys all 5 of them, got good jobs and when it was ready for them to get married, they all got wedding presents from us with their half salaries from which they gave to me, without intrest to me. I was their bank,. my 3 girls...started to save on the side pocket after they married two of them are now without husbands but I still have their little nest egg... two still live with me, and they still contribute with me on funds.. they live here they must pay the piper mom.   so I think bad mood is that they overspending... so when they die their children will have to get them out of bailing.

This is a joke, right? We're all going to die one day...nothing to fear. It's inevitable. My concern is bitterness and feelings of entitlement that would make someone feel it's OK to demand payment from their children & spend whatever they have so that they leave nothing to them. In this case, God blessed her w/ no grandchildren. The buck literally stops here. Wow!!! 

@Shanus

I still would like to know how SHE chose not to have grandchildren.

Last time I checked, that decision really wasn't up to her.

It's up to her kids to decide if they want to become parents or not.

She has little to no say in that department.

I mean, what is she gonna do, if one of her kids becomes a parent?

I was wondering the same thing. 

I know a lady (a real piece of work), who doesn't get along with her husband's daughter from his first marriage, that didn't accept the role as grandma. It's sad for the little girl, she probably wonders why grandpa's wife isn't grandma, but calls her by her first name.

I used to work with a woman who had three adult children who were very successful in the film & TV industry. She doted on her grandchildren - with the emphasis on her. One of her children adopted one of their children's friends to take her out of an ugly neglectful, abusive home situation.

This co-worker never failed to differentiate between her "real" grandchildren and "the girl my son (or was it daughter?) adopted, her "other" granddaughter - in the way she spoke of her and about her, what gifts she was deemed worthy of vs her "real" granddaughters, and the days out she "had" to have with this "other" granddaughter - whom she would not include when she took her "real" granddaughters out for an occasion.

It made me sick to my stomach - and madder than he**.

Wow, that is terrible. If I had an adopted child and my mother ever did that she would see none of my children.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
QVC Customer Care

Re: "Why Are the Baby Boomers in Such a Bad Mood?

Honored Contributor

Gosh , i thought it was just me ,did not know i had company!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Northray wrote:

I know I'll get stomped for this, since this is a boomer board, lol.  But I'll say it anyways.  As a millennial, we see boomers as the generation that refuses to go away - tho going they are.  Boomers just want to keep relieving what ever golden times they perceive they were a part of -- they just don't want to get old or worse be seen as old.  There is a certain entitlement and selfishness there, but an important reminder that the circle of life holds no favorites of any generation.  My own parents are borderline boomer/generation Xer, it's kinda cute to watch them still try to relive their "salad days".   Sorta like the Rolling Stones. 

Well, I must say this is a first for this board. Usually I am here defending your generation. I guess there are some of you out there that have lots of issues with my generation.

We refuse to go away.....you got that right. Still living our "salad days," and looking darn good doing it. Just like my husband, siblings and friends. We expect to be here as long as possible much to your chagrin. LOL

Valued Contributor

well history will definitley not reflect favorably on some generations-

of this I am certain

Honored Contributor

I remember my parents ,and grandparents reliving their times, talking of the good and bad ,how much things had changed,that is normal.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Northray wrote:

I know I'll get stomped for this, since this is a boomer board, lol.  But I'll say it anyways.  As a millennial, we see boomers as the generation that refuses to go away - tho going they are.  Boomers just want to keep relieving what ever golden times they perceive they were a part of -- they just don't want to get old or worse be seen as old.  There is a certain entitlement and selfishness there, but an important reminder that the circle of life holds no favorites of any generation.  My own parents are borderline boomer/generation Xer, it's kinda cute to watch them still try to relive their "salad days".   Sorta like the Rolling Stones. 

whats the matter not enough safe spaces to get away from those boomers that just refuse to go away???

Valued Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

@Northray

"...we see boomers as the generation that refuses to go away..."

I laughed out loud at this sentence. Where, exactly, should we go? 

FYI, we all thought like you when we were younger. We swore we'd never get old or become our parents (older and slower). We're still 12, 23, 30 on the inside (which doesn't square up with the outside).  One day,  you'll wake up shocked that you're over 50, 60, 70.

As for reliving our salad days---no. We're just living our days.  Every generation has its music, clothes, culture. It's part of who you are.  It informed and formed you. You don't, magically, become someone else when you reach a certain age. 

ETA

"...it's kinda cute to watch them still try to relive their 'salad days'."

I'm sure your parents just love being patronized.

I am sure they are even "cuter" when he /she needs $$$

Respected Contributor

@Northray wrote:

@NorthrayYour parents are boomer/gen Xer's? Maybe you should sit down with them and tell them your thoughts.  

Esteemed Contributor

Which boomers? There is another generation of boomers besides the original.