Frequent Contributor

Re: "White lies"? Do you think some lies are ok?

@Noel7 wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

People find ways to justify lies all the time. "White lie" or whatever is just a way to try to make nice with it. 

What about starting bait threads, pretending it's about one thing when really it's something else. Lies abound every day, and excuses to justify them imho.

@Verdana

There are good reasons to tell white lies, are you saying you never do?

My daughter is very worried about my health, she asks if the pain is a little better today, as she leaves for work, I tell her is is a little better so as not to worry her.

There's an old Jim Carrey movie, LIar Liar.  If I remember correctly, part of it is that he cannot tell a lie, any lie, and he hurts a lot of people and endangers his job... things like that.

IMO it's silly to think we must always blurt out the truth, no matter what.

Oh no I'd never claim I never lied. I just see people being led down a garden path when they're not careful how often they find ways to justify their lies. There's a quote that says something like "those who tell white lies can easily wander into darker lies." Einstein said "Whoever is careless with truth in small matters cannot be trusted in important affairs.” Slippery slope was my main point. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Perfect people never lie. Perfect people don't exist lol.

Honored Contributor

@Verdana wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

People find ways to justify lies all the time. "White lie" or whatever is just a way to try to make nice with it. 

What about starting bait threads, pretending it's about one thing when really it's something else. Lies abound every day, and excuses to justify them imho.

@Verdana

My daughter is very worried about my health, she asks if the pain is a little better today, as she leaves for work, I tell her is is a little better so as not to worry her.

There's an old Jim Carrey movie, LIar Liar.  If I remember correctly, part of it is that he cannot tell a lie, any lie, and he hurts a lot of people and endangers his job... things like that.

Oh no I'd never claim I never lied. I just see people being led down a garden path when they're not careful how often they find ways to justify their lies. There's a quote that says something like "those who tell white lies can easily wander into darker lies." Einstein said "Whoever is careless with truth in small matters cannot be trusted in important affairs.” Slippery slope was my main point. Smiley Happy

Boloney, and Einstein was no philosopher.  In fact, he took credit for much of the research done by his wife.  Maybe he was concerned about his own greater lies, that's on him.

Not everything in life is a slippery slope. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Verdana

Boloney, and Einstein was no philosopher.  In fact, he took credit for much of the research done by his wife.  Maybe he was concerned about his own greater lies, that's on him.

Yowza, please lighten up. Lol. It's my opinion. You have yours but I didn't insult you by calling it baloney. Not interested in right fighting anyway. This is all about opinions and views and no need to try and force everyone to have the same one. Smiley Happy  Btw I remember that Carey movie. It was very interesting, raised good questions. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Verdana

My daughter is very worried about my health.  As she leaves for work today she asks if my pain is a little better. I tell her it is a little better so as not to worry her, she has a lot on her plate right now, I don't want to add to it.

I stopped lying to spare people their feelings 10 years ago.  The opening question of this thread is "Do you think some lies are ok?  My answer the first time was No, my answer now, still remains NO.  The way I was raised there was never a reason to lie.  Of course, I did though.  When we communicate with good intentions, it doesn't have to turn out to be a lie.  This is just my personal experience.  It's all in how we say it (intent) and letting that person know you have their best interest at heart.  

If you love your friends and value true friendship (and they you), this would not be a problem.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Verdana

My daughter is very worried about my health.  As she leaves for work today she asks if my pain is a little better. I tell her it is a little better so as not to worry her, she has a lot on her plate right now, I don't want to add to it.

I stopped lying to spare people their feelings 10 years ago.  The opening question of this thread is "Do you think some lies are ok?  My answer the first time was No, my answer now, still remains NO.  The way I was raised there was never a reason to lie.  Of course, I did though.  When we communicate with good intentions, it doesn't have to turn out to be a lie.  This is just my personal experience.  It's all in how we say it (intent) and letting that person know you have their best interest at heart.  

If you love your friends and value true friendship (and they you), this would not be a problem.

It's not a problem for me at all, and I just gave a good reason for not adding to my daughter's worry today. 

I think many of us know people who are proud of never avoiding hurting someone they supposedly care about.  I also think they have no idea what some others really think of them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Verdana

It's not a problem for me at all, and I just gave a good reason for not adding to my daughter's worry today. 

I think many of us know people who are proud of never avoiding hurting someone they supposedly care about.  I also think they have no idea what some others really think of them.

I hear ya, Noel.  You have been ill. I'm glad you're back and well enough to post.  I value your opinions here.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Verdana wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Verdana

Yowza, please lighten up. Lol. It's my opinion. You have yours but I didn't insult you by calling it baloney. Not interested in right fighting anyway. This is all about opinions and views and no need to try and force everyone to have the same one. Smiley Happy  Btw I remember that Carey movie. It was very interesting, raised good questions. 

I thought I made it clear I saw Einstein's comment as boloney, especially as he was quite the liar himself. 

I have no idea why you would take that personally.

I agree with you that the movie was food for thought.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @itiswhatitis  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7

*Call Tyrone*