Super Contributor

"White lies"? Do you think some lies are ok?

How do you decide if a lie is justifiable?

Honored Contributor

Re: "White lies"? Do you think some lies are ok?

When it comes to someone's feelings as to how do they look or do I like their outfit, then I will lie.

BTW, we've been down this road with this question before. Beware.Smiley Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

Within very narrow parameters a white lie can not only be acceptable but the right thing to do.  However, "do no harm" should be the first rule.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

When it comes to someone's feelings as to how do they look or do I like their outfit, then I will lie.

BTW, we've been down this road with this question before. Beware.Smiley Happy

Lol! Ok, thanks! I didn't see other discussions, sorry for the re-run. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

If somebody asks, "Do I look old?"     Of course, I would say, "Not at all".........(while probably thinking, "Ancient would be a better description").

I don't think it's charitable to hurt someone's feelings.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I can't stand a liar and I told my kids while raising them that it was the worst thing that they could ever do to me. My middle daughter is just learning to cook at thirty (she had me or her two sisters to cook for her) and some of her creations are horrible but I don't let on and I still eat her creations.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

For me, a white lie is only acceptable when someone asks you something trivial that the true answer may just be mean to give.

By that, I mean if a friend asks if you like their new sofa, or do their pants make them look fat, I can think of something positive to say, without hurting their feelings or lying big time. 

For the sofa, I might not say 'yes, I love it' when I don't, but would say something like 'I like how it compliments the rest of the room's decor'.  For the pants, I might try to do something similar, about how on trend they are or how well they compliment the shade of blue in their shirt. 

Now, big or important things aren't the same thing as a white lie, in my opinion, and I try never to get caught up in those, because they just seem to grow into a life of their own.

Honored Contributor

Thank you I love the gift is perfectly acceptable, when you don't. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I watched a fascinating and sad PBS program last night about doctors telling patients about end of life issues.  There wee a few instances where the Physician told a white lie and in these circumstances, I agreed with them.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

A lie is perfectly acceptable if it is over something minor, or will save someone's feelings from being hurt.   I think being kind trumps a "never lie" rule.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York