Trusted Contributor

Re: "Whiny Days and Sundays......."

@AuntG wrote:

It has nothing to do with our hearing, kids go wild in the stores and the parents seem oblivious.  We knew not to act up in public when I was young.  When my parents said "that's it, we're going home", it was not as threat - they meant it.

THIS is the truth and it forced us to behave or leave.

Super Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong for assuming - but since this thread has been taken off topic by discussing children who have medical issues or other disabilities, that a parent of such a child would make some attempt at soothing their child and not just ignoring them.   That doesn't appear to be the situation in many of these instances when children are misbehaving in public.  Parents seem oblivious to their children.  

We've all seen seen children who are misbehaving for any number of reasons.   The difference is the way the parents handle it.   

@Bri36

Great point. I know when a kid is really acting up and a parent is dealing with it (even if I don't agree with the method), I'm much more willing to tolerate the disturbance, simply because I can see that there is a 'work in progress'. It's when there isn't any work being done, that I loose patience. And that is directed to the parent, not the kid. 

My dad used to have a saying when kids were arguing, acting out, and misbehaving. He would say 'The kid is smarter than the parent'. And he was right. The kid had control of the situation, and that isn't a good thing.

@Bri36.   What you said. Exactly.

Hugs.

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Esteemed Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@Mominohio, I won't forget when my son asked what he should do when his first child threw a fit while they were out shopping. I told him, "you have to remove her from the store."

What's happened? Parents just carry on today like they can's see or hear them. They don't give a toot ! It's your problem not theirs....

Parents who don't teach their children how to behave are doing them a serious disservice, to put it mildly.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@Mominohio, I won't forget when my son asked what he should do when his first child threw a fit while they were out shopping. I told him, "you have to remove her from the store."

What's happened? Parents just carry on today like they can's see or hear them. They don't give a toot ! It's your problem not theirs....

@febe1

The same thing about parents today has been said by every generation.  I posted quotes going back to the time of Socrates.

That may have been so, @Noel7, b/c there have always been parents who don't have the education or knowledge of behavior of children in public. I'm sure that's been so going back to Socrates.

I can see certain parents allowing their children to pound rocks all day long.... Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@febe1

The same thing about parents today has been said by every generation.  I posted quotes going back to the time of Socrates.

That may have been so, @Noel7, b/c there have always been parents who don't have the education or knowledge of behavior of children in public. I'm sure that's been so going back to Socrates.

I can see certain parents allowing their children to pound rocks all day long.... Smiley Happy

LOL @febe1 Woman LOL  I can, too.  But it's nothing new, there have always been parents who are a lot looser than some of us Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

"Lewd Wicked Children"

In 1695, Robert Russel wrote in A Little Book for Children and Youth (subtitled Being Good Counsel and Instructions for Your Children, Earnestly Exhorting Them to Resist the Temptation of the Devil...):

"... I find by sad Experience how the Towns and Streets are filled with lewd wicked Children, and many Children as they have played about the Streets have been heard to curse and swear and call one another Nick-names, and it would grieve ones Heart to hear what bawdy and filthy Communications proceeds from the Mouths of such..."

Lol! "Kids today" goes way back!