Respected Contributor

Re: "What's The Matter with Kids Today"

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I have no doubt there are many "kids" out there who are well behaved, respectful and very smart.  What takes the attention away from them are the bad reputations of schools and the frightful things some "kids" do.  I am sure by now we all know that bad overshadows the good, sad, but true.   The future belongs to the children of today, hopefully they will turn it around and overshadow the bad.  

They already are!!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@suzyQ3,

Grandchildren like yours should be bragged on!

I do not have grandchildren; okay by me, being grandma was never on my bucket list.   My daughters are successful young women who love their work, and what they do in life, and never wanted children.   I have one nephew; good kid, owns a home, and works a government job.   My family is very proud of the nieces and nephew.   

“What’s the matter with kids today” applies to every one of my husbands nieces and nephews and great nephews.   Everything we hear about them just makes us shake our heads.   Oldest is a functioning alcoholic,  5 kids by 4 women.  Only one who had a career is on marriage #5.   Next one also a functioning alcoholic.   Next nephew insists his wife doesn’t have to work!  Married 2 years, have a child, and his parents have bought 90% of the diapers and clothing for their grandchild, plus pay  monthly bills for the couple.   They still don’t have a pot to P in, nor a window to throw it out of, but drive a $40,000 vehicle.  His parents are working 2 jobs each.  Niece is getting ready to graduate; military won’t take her, she never applied herself in school, barely skimmed thru each grade, but “wants” to go to college.   She’s pretty; I look for her to hang out the drive thru window at her current job for awhile, and eventually make some poor boys life miserable.   Great nephew is a pierced and tatted freak; proudly says his butt cheeks are the only not pierced/tatted skin on his body...... 

Right now, not a one of the above is making this world better.

@RedTop wrote:

@suzyQ3,

I do not have grandchildren; okay by me, being grandma was never on my bucket list.   My daughters are successful young women who love their work, and what they do in life, and never wanted children.   I have one nephew; good kid, owns a home, and works a government job.   My family is very proud of the nieces and nephew.   

“What’s the matter with kids today” applies to every one of my husbands nieces and nephews and great nephews.   Everything we hear about them just makes us shake our heads.   Oldest is a functioning alcoholic,  5 kids by 4 women.  Only one who had a career is on marriage #5.   Next one also a functioning alcoholic.   Next nephew insists his wife doesn’t have to work!  Married 2 years, have a child, and his parents have bought 90% of the diapers and clothing for their grandchild, plus pay  monthly bills for the couple.   They still don’t have a pot to P in, nor a window to throw it out of, but drive a $40,000 vehicle.  His parents are working 2 jobs each.  Niece is getting ready to graduate; military won’t take her, she never applied herself in school, barely skimmed thru each grade, but “wants” to go to college.   She’s pretty; I look for her to hang out the drive thru window at her current job for awhile, and eventually make some poor boys life miserable.   Great nephew is a pierced and tatted freak; proudly says his butt cheeks are the only not pierced/tatted skin on his body...... 

@RedTop wrote:

@suzyQ3,

How sad.  It appears that parents lost control at some point and gave up.   In any case, unless they want help those five people don't have much of a future to look forward to. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Nice to read a positive post like this!   And you have every reason to be proud.

I’m also very impressed with all the younger members of my family, and their friends that I’ve met. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  Great post! 

Every generation was talked about by the previous generation who asked the same question of "What's the matter with Kids Today?".  Every generation has had some bad and every one will but often what is considered negative is only inability to accept change and what is different than what the older generations know.  

Honored Contributor

Oh NO!!!    After reading the title of this thread..............I can't get the song from "Bye Bye Birdie" out of my head...................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3,

Thank you for such a positive, wonderful post!

http://rs813.pbsrc.com/albums/zz55/SmileySmiles82/Smiley/clap-animated-animation-clap-smiley_zps523d9ea5.gif~c200

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@suzyQ3,

@RedTop, I'm so sorry to hear about these problems. Maybe at some later date, they will find themselves.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I love your post @suzyQ3 and I couldn't agree more. There are some oldsters with very bad qualities too. Bad qualities are not a function of age.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

I read your post 2x...and came up with the same thought.

Your husband’s brother/sister (and spouse) is the common

denominator with their situation. They are the stumbling block.

Should be, ‘What’s the matter with PARENTS today.’

I see huge enabling actions playing out w/ their scenario.

I mean...didn’t we see this play out with the cheating scandal

recently? It’s not the kids; it’s the parents of these kids

who are the problem.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

It is too easy to be hemmed in by a few examples of the bad or the lost.

Our eyes need to be opened to our hope.

There are so many examples of good kids....and good parents.

Great post, too!❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~