Honored Contributor

Re: "We don't know who you are, so you can't purchase a [Hermes] Birkin Bag"

I see ALOT of 'projection' among these posts.

Don't act like a victim....and you won't become one.

Some people walk around 'loaded for bear'...and they find it.

Project peace, confidence & intelligence....and it's there for you.

Such an easy workaround....

Respected Contributor

With Oprah I think it was Hermes or Chanel. I remember Oprah talking about it on  a show; she was a little amused.

Respected Contributor

This is the same w/the diamond and valuable gem market. DeBeers only allows a very small percentage of gem quality stones out of their vaults each year. 3 months pay for any ring is beyond absurd.

Honored Contributor

I own a few Hermes bags as well as scarves and jewelry. One of the things I find disgusting about the brand is that attitude of having to "kiss up to the sales person". You can go on a wait-list but there is NO guarantee you'll ever get one. Why? Because they sell to those who have "proven" themselves to the salesperson, meaning, they have spent a LOT of money on stuff. It can take years to gain that level of "being good enough" and I just.....can't.

Chanel can be just as bad, trust me. It's all part of the game and when playing in that league (exclusive and expensive), the rules are NOT the same as what the majority of us are used to.

Super Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I own a few Hermes bags as well as scarves and jewelry. One of the things I find disgusting about the brand is that attitude of having to "kiss up to the sales person". You can go on a wait-list but there is NO guarantee you'll ever get one. Why? Because they sell to those who have "proven" themselves to the salesperson, meaning, they have spent a LOT of money on stuff. It can take years to gain that level of "being good enough" and I just.....can't.

Chanel can be just as bad, trust me. It's all part of the game and when playing in that league (exclusive and expensive), the rules are NOT the same as what the majority of us are used to.

You own some Hermes on purpose even though you find things about the brand "disgusting?"  Personally, I would never stoop low enough to kiss up to a salesperson.  They are there to serve me, not the other way around.

Valued Contributor

I was reading all the posts on this thread & got to thinking, a long time ago,when we first got married, we bought a house about 40 miles north of the town we were  both raised in, to a litttle town & there use to be this man in town, at the bank just around town all the time, wore overalls & driving this old truck. He was friendly and always spoke & sometimes stopped & talked. I just thought he was a nice man. Small towns people seem to be more like that.  One day I was in the bank & he came thru talking to everyone & when he left I told the bank teller, " I see him all the time & he is such a nice man. Keeps that old truck looking good too!"  She asked me if I knew who he was. No....she said Sam Walton. He owns the Walmart stores. I thought she was kidding but she wasn't. Of course there weren't as many stores then. Just a few around our state & Ok & Missouri. Later tho I quit seeing him. By then he was well known & I guess couldn't be "normal" anymore. I missed seeing him. He really was down to earth & nice. His wife was so sweet too! Not so much their kids!  I swear true story!

Just shows you can't tell about people, how much money they have or what they can or can't buy by the way they look.

Honored Contributor

I would never walk in that store again. Maybe their snotty self needs some picketers in front of the store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

I remember seeing an incident about Oprah vacationing and shopping. She asked the saleslady to see the most expensive handbag on the highest shelf. Oprah said the sales woman would not take that down b/c she couldn't possible afford that bag. 

I remember that @febe1,

I think it happened in Paris.

Unbelievable that a salesperson could be so ignorant, right?

Honored Contributor

Lovemyboots wrote:

I was reading all the posts on this thread & got to thinking, a long time ago,when we first got married, we bought a house about 40 miles north of the town we were  both raised in, to a litttle town & there use to be this man in town, at the bank just around town all the time, wore overalls & driving this old truck. He was friendly and always spoke & sometimes stopped & talked. I just thought he was a nice man. Small towns people seem to be more like that.  One day I was in the bank & he came thru talking to everyone & when he left I told the bank teller, " I see him all the time & he is such a nice man. Keeps that old truck looking good too!"  She asked me if I knew who he was. No....she said Sam Walton. He owns the Walmart stores. I thought she was kidding but she wasn't. Of course there weren't as many stores then. Just a few around our state & Ok & Missouri. Later tho I quit seeing him. By then he was well known & I guess couldn't be "normal" anymore. I missed seeing him. He really was down to earth & nice. His wife was so sweet too! Not so much their kids!  I swear true story!

Just shows you can't tell about people, how much money they have or what they can or can't buy by the way they look.

My father knew Sam Walton.  He also said he was a really good guy.

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

Oprah was in Switzerland at a Trois Pommes boutique.

I would have bought the store and said: Okay now you work for me.

Can you show the bag to me now?

You know, I'm not that way.  I sort of wish some of our stores could require more id for sales andsuch, and it would sure cut down on theft and cc theft and reduce prices for most of us who aren't crooks.

I'm just sick of all of us getting ripped off every day. And in truth it is cheaper and more pc for stores to just take it and write it off--to the rest of us!  If the store busts someone for shop lifting, the store gets taken to court and the theif goes free or sues the store.

Just a pet peeve of mine.  Oprah has lots of places to shop.  I don't feel sorry for her.