Honored Contributor

@madzonie ....in some grocery stores you can grind your own beans...that way you only buy what you want/need.  You can also store the coffee in the freezer if you buy more than you need.

Trusted Contributor

@madzonie 

I remember seeing Maxwell House blue cans at my Grandparent's 50+ years ago. I usually get Folgers Black Silk but can't always find it. Maxwell House was on sale so I bought some. I really liked it! I think it was around $2 for a can. 

Honored Contributor

@madzonie 

My max is 2 mugs a day and close to 10 hours apart. I use only instant for that reason, and my wife only drinks the "late'" stuff like Starbucks and at about $6 a pop. I am frugal, thankfully.

My 2nd home, the hospital, uses a Bunn machine with some liquid bag form of coffee. I only know this because I have loaded them a couple times when the personal in waiting areas did not know how to do it. Anyways when I drive close by i stop and fill my mug, free, and it is very good coffee.

At home I have used Folgers Freeze Dried for years now. I think my taste buds have changed because now I have to make it stronger(a tablespoon not teaspoon) per mug. I have lately tried a brand of instant called Tastle' and it tastes very good to me. Costs a bit more, but I may switch to it for a period of time. Maybe I just need a change up of taste now that my taste buds seem to have changed.

Not much help to you, but hey, I gotta tell my story on coffee now and again. The worst? The US Army hands down.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: "Vintage" coffee

[ Edited ]

hills bros is one of the older brands.

i also have to add that i received an electric percolator for christmas and it makes a huge difference in the taste of the coffee! love it.!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Costco's Kirkland brand Colombian. Excellent, rich coffe. 

$9.99 for a three pound can.

Respected Contributor

I stopped using my Kuerig about about a month ago, when I bought a stovetop percolator (older Revereware) on eBay.  

I use Kroger store brand coffee, Maxwell House or Folgers....whatever is the best deal when I need coffee.  A HUGE improvement in aroma and taste using the percolator!

Trusted Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Costco's Kirkland brand Colombian. Excellent, rich coffe. 

$9.99 for a three pound can.

@Ms tyrion2  Thank you for mentioning this.  I've been very curious about this, but haven't bought any.  I will give it a try now.  Many thanks.

Respected Contributor
Eight o 'Clock coffee in a beige bag? I thought it came in a red bag. It was always a good choice for coffee, as it reminded me of the old A&P brand, when shoppers would grind it in the store.

We prefer Arabica, so we like DD and Tim Hortons original blend. But I'll have to check out the [hopefully not adulterated] Eight o' Clock.

What worries you masters you.
Regular Contributor

Re: "Vintage" coffee

[ Edited ]

I'd have to agree with those posting recommending Dunkin' Donuts. 

Best tasting coffee I've purchased in awhile. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/winnersmiley.gif

Trusted Contributor
@Moonlady, the red bags are still being sold. They’re the same as always, delicious. The beige bags are a new line from 8 o’clock, called EOC, I think. There are 3 flavors. We tried one & it is very strong. 😊