Trusted Contributor

Try Folger's 1850, they have several varieties. I love the medium roast Pioneer Blend.

Honored Contributor

If you want a quick cup of the old fashioned taste I find those Folgers coffee bags work nicely!  They are like tea bags, but coffee.  I think it is corse ground in a tea bag.  Make sure water is very hot for peak taste.  I used to use them when I traveled.  When I would take a sip, I would think, "wow, this is what coffee used t take like".   I think with Mr coffee, and ten Keurig and now cold brews and fancy coffees we have gotten so far off the old percolator style.  I forget wha coffee was like.   However, I don't miss the heartburn.  Lol. Coffee today is so smooth and rich.  But ever once in a while you just need a good cup o'Joe,!

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Well, whatever you decide on don't buy the "new" Eight O'Clock brand.  It's in a beige bag.  It tastes like it's burnt.  The only reason we bought it was because it was free with a coupon.

We prefer Chock Full O'Nuts but will buy Maxwell House if that's what happens to be on sale.

Thanks! I forgot about Chock Full 'Nuts!

Trusted Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

My mom was a coffee connoisseur and she always used Maxwell House. She also had an really old electric coffee pot that you could adjust how much coffee you could put in.

The pot is probably the key!

Respected Contributor

I used to buy Dunkin' Donuts and found out that what is sold in the grocery store is not the same as the bagged coffee sold in the Dunkin' coffee shops. 

Respected Contributor

Eight-O'Clock on the bean might be what you want!

Trusted Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

I would choose Maxwell house made in this.

485ccbfc74eb489c239b112d6fbfa104 - Edited.jpgWoman Wink

Love it!

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@madzonie 

My max is 2 mugs a day and close to 10 hours apart. I use only instant for that reason, and my wife only drinks the "late'" stuff like Starbucks and at about $6 a pop. I am frugal, thankfully.

My 2nd home, the hospital, uses a Bunn machine with some liquid bag form of coffee. I only know this because I have loaded them a couple times when the personal in waiting areas did not know how to do it. Anyways when I drive close by i stop and fill my mug, free, and it is very good coffee.

At home I have used Folgers Freeze Dried for years now. I think my taste buds have changed because now I have to make it stronger(a tablespoon not teaspoon) per mug. I have lately tried a brand of instant called Tastle' and it tastes very good to me. Costs a bit more, but I may switch to it for a period of time. Maybe I just need a change up of taste now that my taste buds seem to have changed.

Not much help to you, but hey, I gotta tell my story on coffee now and again. The worst? The US Army hands down.

hckynut

I enjoyed your story!

Respected Contributor

For my brand, I like Peets, the first coffee place that blended for flavors. I  prefer dark roasts, but Peets now offer lighter roasts. I've tried one and it was really good, a bit like Dunkin Donuts.

I make my coffee in a Chemex glass vessel: heated water is poured over the ground coffee. These use paper filters and take a few minutes to tend and feed water to while they brew.  I enjoy that.

They date back to the 1930s but I had my old one from the 1970s and just pulled it out again when my mom's percolator (which I loved) finally died.  I have had pretty good coffee from some Keurigs but not from others while travelling or visiting friends.  So I don't really trust the pods or the Mr Coffees. The thermostat has to be working well.

Robusto is the bean used in the older vintage coffees.  Arabica beans are used in the designer blends like Peets.  It's all a matter of what people like, of course.

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

hills bros is one of the older brands.

i also have to add that i received an electric percolator for christmas and it makes a huge difference in the taste of the coffee! love it.!

Actually I am going to try the pour-over method.  But I think you are right about the percolator.