Valued Contributor

"Thought Bubble" or "Speech Balloon?"

[ Edited ]

I keep seeing the phrase "thought bubble" used on the board.  Maybe I read too many cartoons as a child [I did!], but I thought this was a thought bubble . . .

Image result for thought bubble

Or this . . .

Image result for thought bubble

And, this was a speech balloon:

Wikipedia has this graphic for speech balloon, with the caption . . .

The four most common speech balloons, top to bottom: speech, whisper, thought, scream.

So, go ahead and call me "nitpicky" ['cause I am!  Smiley Wink], but I just had to post my "thoughts" on the matter.

Smiley Wink Heart Smiley Surprised

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Valued Contributor

Re: "Thought Bubble" or "Speech Balloon?"

This is the text from the Wikipedia article for "speech balloon:"

Speech balloons (also speech bubbles, dialogue balloons or word balloons) are a graphic convention used most commonly in comic books, comic strips and cartoons to allow words (and much less often, pictures) to be understood as representing the speech or thoughts of a given character in the comic. There is often a formal distinction between the balloon that indicates thoughts and the one that indicates words spoken aloud: the balloon that conveys subjective thoughts is often referred to as a thought bubble.

Honored Contributor

I agree with your descriptions. I haven't seen any references to thought bubbles on the board, though.

Honored Contributor

Hehe - Well, I don't know!  It was the first term that came to mind when I was trying to describe to somebody the icons on the left side of the thread titles.  Hopefully, whoever read that got the help I was trying to provide.  Sometimes words elude me these days. 

(PS:  No offense taken)

Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Thanks, chickenbutt!  Heart

I'm not sure which post I was reading when I realized that "thought bubble" sounded wrong.  I actually googled "cartoon speaking bubble," since I wasn't sure of the technical term.

I get fascinated by the most mundane things!

Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh, I can totally relate!  I get fascinated by some thing that cause others to look at me like I'm crazy.

Hey, I'm a thinker - always thinking, always figuring stuff out.  I've always been a thinker.  I live inside my head a lot. 

One thing that is frustrating is that, due to maybe partly age and partly a health challenge that I've only had for the last several years, I'm having a lot of trouble with thought-continuity and basic memory.  It's like sometimes my 'hard drive' just died and all I can remember is who I am for short periods.   Then it all comes back but I have a hard time with words too, now.  I'm getting used to it but I don't like to sound like a fool so I try really hard to seem like the smart person I used to be.  Smiley Happy

Anyhoo, I'm always glad if somebody comes up with the right term or the right way to say something.  I have absolutely no problem with that.  I don't EVER want to mis-communicate or sound like a bumbling idiot. 

Plus - I love learning something new.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

CB and Suigeneris, I'm guilty!  I'm ready to accept my punishment!

But it's all CB's fault! Giggling animated emoticon

She used the phrase "thought bubbles" somewhere explaining what those icons meant.  It taught me something I didn't know about this new forum until CB said it, and it helped me considerably.   I didn't know what to call them, so I used her verbage when I explained it to someone else.  It must be contagious!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Sui, I just saw your post about most hearted threads (I'm not going back to the thread where you posted it)... I had to laugh.  Check out the Suggestion Box Linea thread...

75 replies and 1,157 hearts!    Fainting animated emoticon

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittymomNC wrote:

Sui, I just saw your post about most hearted threads (I'm not going back to the thread where you posted it)... I had to laugh.  Check out the Suggestion Box Linea thread...

75 replies and 1,157 hearts!    Fainting animated emoticon

Whoa!

I stand corrected!

Those Linea gals are one hard-core, loyal, devoted group, aren't they?

I think every Linea Lady [did I coin a phrase? Woman Wink] hearted each other's posts.

Maybe all those hearts helped them achieve their "heart's" desire!

They got their Linea board back!

Woman Very Happy

Contributor

You are a comma person, too!