Honored Contributor

Re: "The Secret Shame of Middle Class Americans"

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Not to mention those who are not even citizens who are on WIC and welfare getting money for things they haven't even paid into.

If any baby/toddler/child needs nutritional assistance, we should gladly help.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Not to mention those who are not even citizens who are on WIC and welfare getting money for things they haven't even paid into.

Have we as a nation become so heartless that we want to deny a child a meal? 

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

No, as a nation, we have not.  Not the nation I live in anyway.  WIC provides vouchers for produce, milk and whole grain foods.  

Many public schools here offer free lunches to those who qualify, but in addition here (Califnoria) they provide fruits and vegetables available to any student that needs something to eat.  Any child can go grab a carton of milk and some fruit and won't be denied it.  I'm proud to see my tax dollars used in this way.  

Honored Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

No, as a nation, we have not.  Not the nation I live in anyway.  WIC provides vouchers for produce, milk and whole grain foods.  

Many public schools here offer free lunches to those who qualify, but in addition here (Califnoria) they provide fruits and vegetables available to any student that needs something to eat.  Any child can go grab a carton of milk and some fruit and won't be denied it.  I'm proud to see my tax dollars used in this way.  

Yet often times like the post I responded to someone will come on here and express resentment and others will agree with it. Like yourself, I am proud to see my tax dollars used to feed children.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't mind feeding citizens but non I have a problem with.  If you knew how prevalent this was and the huge amount of people walking around with vouchers and multiple EBT cards in their wallets you would be applaud.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

There are many citizens of this country who are on WIC and welfare who have not paid into the system. We would deny them also? WIC and any welfare would be for children who are born here which makes THEM the citizens. The last I heard there were child labor laws preventing them from working and therefore contributing to "the system". 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Yet often times like the post I responded to someone will come on here and express resentment and others will agree with it. Like yourself, I am proud to see my tax dollars used to feed children.

In some school districts the free lunches goven to the poor kids are much less and not nearly as nice as the lunches given to the kids who pay. To me this is a sad state of affairs. All the kids should get the same food.

Honored Contributor

I have found throughout my working career that many women I knew who graduated from high school then went out into the workforce instead of going on to learn a profession or a trade were resentful of family and friends who did go on to school past high school and who made more money than they did. My Mom really emphasized to us all our growing years the importance of getting an education or learning a trade. All but one of us went on to school and made decent wages - the one who dropped out of HS and went in the service instead would always be making snide remarks essentially he felt the rest of us should help him support himself because we made more than he did. It never dawned on him that we had all been given the exact same opportunities but he just blew his and we didn't. He stayed in the navy as a career but never achieved any real rank so he always lived hand to mouth. 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

In some school districts the free lunches goven to the poor kids are much less and not nearly as nice as the lunches given to the kids who pay. To me this is a sad state of affairs. All the kids should get the same food.

If it's a federally funded lunch program then all lunches are the same-free lunches are identical for those who pay.

They can't discriminate in that manner. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
I know many people who live paycheck to paycheck and they are not in debt or living beyond their means.

Perhaps the secret shame of the middle class is their disdain for those who are not like them and a lack of understanding and empathy for those who just make enough to get by and are not able to set enough aside in savings .

I will offer up that the secret shame might just be that many of us have been in positions of poverty and worked our way up and out of it, know it can be done, but want to appear politically correct and don't voice the expectation that  others  do the same.

The shame is that when you have achieved, you are supposed to be almost ashamed that you have, excuse all those that don't, and are supposed to relieve your guilt of achieving by giving a pass to those who won't try. 

The shame is that more of us don't separate those who truly can't from those that just won't.

@Mominohio

What??    People should be ashamed because they have worked hard and achieved?    Just who is influencing them to feel this way?  Where is this coming from?