Trusted Contributor

Re: "TREES" WAS WRITTEN ON FEBRUARY 2 BY JOYCE KILMER

@Oznell  Thank you for the post.  Trees has been my favorite poem since third grade where I heard it for the first time.

Honored Contributor

One of my favorite poems! Thank you for the info also...very interesting.
Respected Contributor

My grandmother, who was born in 1904, told me once that when she was in college she was at a dinner reception and sat next to Joyce Kilmer's widow, who was a speaker that evening.  I believe she was a writer, also.

Being a dumb kid it didn't occur to me then to pump Grandma for every detail...wish I had!

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe , will also look up September poem -- I'm a September baby as well. My favorite month, and blue is my favorite color (birthstone)

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Very cool story, @alicedee !   I had heard she was a writer also.  It definitely would have been fun to know every detail of that dinner!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

I attended Joyce Kilmer Elementary School in Chicago (Rogers Park).

What I'll always remember was that our auditorium was decorated with the lines of the poem.  Beautifully painted on the walls.

I doubt the words are still there.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Oznell 

My father sang this poem, so I learned it as a song, wonder how many others learned it that way.  Was a surprise to learn in grade school that poem was the original form.

@Drythe @Oznell 

We learned this poem in school and then we learned the song in Glee Club in 7th grade.  The poem was set to music by Oscar Resbach sometime in the 1920's.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh