Honored Contributor

Re: "TREES" WAS WRITTEN ON FEBRUARY 2 BY JOYCE KILMER

Perhaps it’s no coincidence that it was written on Groundhog Day, (which originated in Pennsylvania in 1887), as many of us think of spring— and trees blooming— on this day.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

When writing up an account of a collegue's great-uncle who had fought in World War I with "The Fighting Irish" from New York City, I discovered that Joyce Kilmer had volunteered for, and was a part of, The Fighting Irish Brigade.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

After retirement, my uncle worked as a ranger at the Joyce Kilmer National Forest in Graham County, NC. Visiting as a girl, I walked the forest with him at closing time and we'd read the poem out loud together. My uncle was a WW2 survivor, with PTSD as a medic. A tender man. Thank you for posting and prompting sweet memories of my dad's hometown. It's this memory that helped me love TREE OF LIFE jewelry and symbolism. Plus, I married a guy with a 'tree' name.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I have learned so much on the forums today!  Thanks @Oznell  I always loved this poem. Maybe he was dreaming of the summer on a cold dreary winters day.  🌳 

Honored Contributor

And I've learned so much on this thread today, @godi -- it's so heartening how the mere mention of a tree poem brings up all these thoughts, interesting facts and tender remembrances by posters....  lovely!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Thank you for the beautiful memories this poem brings.  I’m Reading and thinking of it as I watch the rays of a pink sunset flow through the trunks of this old Forrest which is my home.

As others mentioned doing, I spent a good part of my childhood in trees.  @jeanlake spoke of the Joyce Kilmer National Forrest here in NC, which is a beautiful, special spot.

The stories of the men lost in that war seem especially poignant, The Great War to End All Wars, they thought.  My grandfather was there.  

Just one more thing, The poem “September” Louis McNiece is very special to me, as a September baby.  One of the young, ‘romantics’ who were lost in WW 1.

*** of note the date  02/02/2020 hasn’t happened in 900 years.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Just like I said, @Drythe -- every post a gem, and yours no exception!

I shall look up "September".

Trusted Contributor

I always loved this poem.Heart

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell   Thank you so much for this, Trees is on my list of favorites.  I love it so much I read it three times.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

My father sang this poem, so I learned it as a song, wonder how many others learned it that way.  Was a surprise to learn in grade school that poem was the original form.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras