Honored Contributor

"TOWN AND COUNTRY" MAGAZINE DOES RETROSPECTIVE OF PRINCESS ANNE JEWELRY LOOKS

Thanks, Town and Country, for some ornamental escapism!   While Anne has not been a conspicuous clothes horse, she has access to some stunning jewels that she's worn effectively over the years.

A very young Anne in her Meander Tiara, with its stunning Greek key motif.  It's appropriate, since the tiara came to Anne from the Greek side of the family, through Prince Philip and his mother...

gettyimages-141771444-1-1590773151.jpg

She clearly loves the design (Greek key combined with laurel wreath medallion), which has a modern, geometric aspect--  suits her.

princess-anne-returns-to-buckingham-palace-in-the-irish-news-photo-1590772229.jpg

But she will wear more "traditional" designs too...

princess-anne-arrives-at-claridges-for-the-banquet-news-photo-1590772370.jpg

In fact, for someone so 'sporty' and all, she seems to carry off romantic looks too, and comes back to them again and again.   This garlanded necklace of pearls and gold snake chain is gorgeous!   The Edwardian type updo and floral earrings amp up the mood...

princess-anne-attending-a-banquet-in-gambia-news-photo-1590770008.jpg

Flower power!   What could be more 70's?   The starburst diamond and button pearl earrings are an interesting counterpoint to her groovy smocked gown:

princess-anne-arriving-for-a-film-premiere-in-london-news-photo-1590773375.jpg

The diamonds are wowsers, but a sapphire brooch draws my eye.  This looks familiar, wonder if its from the general stash...

princess-anne-at-a-banquet-in-dubai-united-arab-emirates-news-photo-1590773934.jpg

So typical of her to mix moods-- like the de rigeur double strand pearls, with the futuristic, Star Trek-ish brooch.  I like the combo though,  jaunty.   That stone, I can't tell, maybe it's a green tourmaline...

gettyimages-138688300-1590770830.jpg

Elegant, sedate.   She looks great in the pale lipstick of the time.   There's still a modern touch-- the arty yoke of her sheath--  setting off those rocks!princess-anne-in-berlin-germany-on-a-visit-from-5-9-june-news-photo-1590770470.jpg

Here's a very minimal jewelry look--  tiny, delicate, but striking ribbon choker.   

princess-anne-attends-the-society-of-film-and-television-news-photo-1590770407.jpg

Another daytime look below, that showcases her tasteful 3 stone sapphire and diaomnd engagement ring from Captain Mark Philips--

pa-news-photo-30-5-73-princess-anne-and-captain-mark-news-photo-1590773724.jpg

Here's a bit better look at it:

princess ann eng.jpg

And finally, here's a quintessential Ascot look, with tiny turquoises and gold, and of course, a little gold horse riding on her lapel--

princess-anne-princess-royal-attends-ladies-day-of-royal-news-photo-1590770740.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: "TOWN AND COUNTRY" MAGAZINE DOES RETROSPECTIVE OF PRINCESS ANNE JEWELRY LOOKS

[ Edited ]

I love these. I think Anne was quite fashionable in her courting years but has always been very stoic, even when the Queen did not agree with her, similar to that of Princess Margaret in her courting days.  Much like Princess Margaret, Anne had a will of her own, perhaps the reason the Princess Royal did not prefer to be a royal but a working royal with children who were not given titles.

Honored Contributor

Re: "TOWN AND COUNTRY" MAGAZINE DOES RETROSPECTIVE OF PRINCESS ANNE JEWELRY LOOKS

She is much prettier than she is given credit for and if you want to talk about being slammed by the press, she absolutely was.  But she is a strong person, like her parents, and carried on to get the job done.  

Just as she did when her mom died.  

Esteemed Contributor

Anne is interesting. I follow YouTube channels that report what the working Royals do weekly. It's a lot more than you think! Anne still has a nice understated look. She had a turncoat on last week that was gorgeous. My only nit pic is sometimes her and the Queen wore a necklace and a pin. I like either or but not both.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I always liked Princess Anne's wedding gown.

Image may contain Human Person Tie Accessories Accessory People Clothing Apparel Family and Military Uniform

For her wedding dress, Princess Anne wore a dress designed by her local dressmaker, Maureen Baker, the chief designer for the ready-to-wear label Susan Small. She had previously designed outfits for the Princess. The dress was an embroidered Tudor-style wedding dress with a high collar and medieval sleeves.

Princess Anne was said to have designed many aspects of the dress herself.

Compared to previous royal wedding dresses, it was described as "simplistic" by fashion expert Catherine Woram, and was noted as being close to contemporary 1970s wedding fashions.

Honored Contributor

Interesting photos .... she was an attractive young woman, but I don't think she has aged particularly well.  JMO, of course.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting article.  Anne's choices in clothes are much too plain for me.  Jewels are always interesting.

Honored Contributor

Lovely photos of Princess Anne, the jewelry exquisite.  While the Princess is low key and not in the lime light, her charitable work is impressive and what she is dedicated to.  That earns my respect.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting the picture, @drizzellla --  that dress definitely has a medieval air,  yet, as you say, it was considered to be part of a more modern, more minimal trend at the time of her first marriage.

I got curious about her second engagement ring, this one from Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence.  To me, it's kind of a letdown, after her first one.  She apparently loves sapphires, which is fine.  But am not wowed by the design of small center sapphire with 3 smaller stones either side. Preferred her first ring by far.

71e17cd3d9f59becac68d332aaaf5c07.jpg

Why didn't she consult me??  I do like her winter white suit, flowers and bouquet.

I like a lot of "famous" engagement rings, but maybe my favorite royal one is Princess Margaret's unusual ruby ring. It was said to be fashioned to vaguely suggest a rose, for her middle name, "Rose"--

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 11.14.44 PM.png

Honored Contributor

Very classy.  Perhaps she did not want the huge diamond or sapphire as a showy attention-getting ring.  She dresses very nice, not over the top flash-and-dash.  Her understated simplicity is what makes her so classy.  She knows she could but she shows restraint which Kate Middleton has done, for the most part.  She has begun using more color and becoming a little sexier, but for the most part, Kate is a classy dresser as well.