Respected Contributor

Re: "Spare the Bear" in Grizzly Attack in Yellowstone National Park

@Suzy CurlyQ wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@sierrasaurus wrote:

Has anyone here heard of the Tsavo lions, and read the actual account not just the movie. Those lions killed and ate tons of people, now was that natural? Should they have been spared? No!! Animals do not eat humans, that is not natural. We have never been on the menu. Sure occasionally something like this happens, but it is very rare, otherwise you would hear about them eating us all the time. When a bear attacks someone they usually leave them and not consume them. This bear and her cubs would of become a problem if everyone thought "oh it's just natural for them to eat us, let her be". Also I can't stand when people say we trespass on their territory so it's now all our falt. Yes, a bear has a territory, but in that territory are other animals living like elk or cougars or even us. Just like when you have property you dont want other people traipsing on, yet coyotes or deer or squirrels live on it as well. What I'm saying is each specific species has their own territory but in that territory is many other species. We are not aliens from another planet, we live here just like they do. We are not gonna live in floating houses off the ground and eat tofu for the rest of our days.

They were a specific species of lion that ate or killed 21 people not tons and tons as was reported by Colonel Patterson who exaggerated his claims. They also  have been able to tell from the skeletel remains of the 2 lions that one of the two had a diseased mouth and tooth infection. Which would of inhibited his ability to kill natural prey. And that because of a cattle plague there was  shortage of food in the area of where they hunted and lived. Which was where they were building a railroad. This also happened back in 1898.

We still do not have maruading pacs of bears killing people. And yes we are in their territory. 

THAT is my point! If it were natural for bears to eat humans you bet with their intelligence there WOULD BE packs of bears killing people. There would be. But why do they not do this? It is the LAW OF NATURE. 

OK my previous reply to you disappeared so I guess you are allowed to continue making your points including insulting me and I am not allowed to defend my point. 

Honored Contributor

It seems these incidents are rare, which shows this is an abnormal situation.  Would any of you go in the area where this particular bear was released?  Of course you wouldn't.  You have to use some balance here between the safety of park goers and the safety and security of the animal population.  

It isn't an easy situation, and some people somewhere had to wrestle with some difficult issues and make difficult decisions.  I doubt the people at the head of the park service simply hate bears.  I don't believe that at all.

I think if they erred, it was on the side of people (yes, many stupid) who go to the park, enjoy the outdoors and the animal population.  But someone somewhere has to try to keep the peace.  I wouldn't want that job.   But I sure wouldn't want to take the chance of other people being killed either.  So I don't think it is fair to villify people we don't know about this situation. Sometimes there is not a "good" decision you can make.   But you have to make a decision.

Occasional Contributor

You glossed over what I said regarding their territory. I was quoting a book!! I was not directing that toward anyone!! I am not going to put my words in a quote. If you are referring to the word "coolie" thats was a term for laborer. What my point  is is that when an animal kills and eats a person that animals should not be allowed to continue killing and eating people! Even if they have a problem or not. This is a place families come to visit and to allow a bear to hunt and eat people is not going to work. 

Regular Contributor

@Suzy CurlyQ wrote:

@sierrasaurus wrote:

Has anyone here heard of the Tsavo lions, and read the actual account not just the movie. Those lions killed and ate tons of people, now was that natural? Should they have been spared? No!! Animals do not eat humans, that is not natural. We have never been on the menu. Sure occasionally something like this happens, but it is very rare, otherwise you would hear about them eating us all the time. When a bear attacks someone they usually leave them and not consume them. This bear and her cubs would of become a problem if everyone thought "oh it's just natural for them to eat us, let her be". Also I can't stand when people say we trespass on their territory so it's now all our falt. Yes, a bear has a territory, but in that territory are other animals living like elk or cougars or even us. Just like when you have property you dont want other people traipsing on, yet coyotes or deer or squirrels live on it as well. What I'm saying is each specific species has their own territory but in that territory is many other species. We are not aliens from another planet, we live here just like they do. We are not gonna live in floating houses off the ground and eat tofu for the rest of our days.

They were a specific species of lion that ate or killed 21 people not tons and tons as was reported by Colonel Patterson who exaggerated his claims. They also  have been able to tell from the skeletel remains of the 2 lions that one of the two had a diseased mouth and tooth infection. Which would of inhibited his ability to kill natural prey. And that because of a cattle plague there was  shortage of food in the area of where they hunted and lived. Which was where they were building a railroad. This also happened back in 1898.

We still do not have maruading pacs of bears killing people. And yes we are in their territory. 

THAT is my point! If it were natural for bears to eat humans you bet with their intelligence there WOULD BE packs of bears killing people. There would be. But why do they not do this? It is the LAW OF NATURE. 

OK my previous reply to you disappeared so I guess you are allowed to continue making your points including insulting me and I am not allowed to defend my point. 

WAIT A DARN MINUTE! I have never insulted you! 

"Life finds a way." --- Ian Malcom Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It seems these incidents are rare, which shows this is an abnormal situation.  Would any of you go in the area where this particular bear was released?  Of course you wouldn't.  You have to use some balance here between the safety of park goers and the safety and security of the animal population.  

It isn't an easy situation, and some people somewhere had to wrestle with some difficult issues and make difficult decisions.  I doubt the people at the head of the park service simply hate bears.  I don't believe that at all.

I think if they erred, it was on the side of people (yes, many stupid) who go to the park, enjoy the outdoors and the animal population.  But someone somewhere has to try to keep the peace.  I wouldn't want that job.   But I sure wouldn't want to take the chance of other people being killed either.  So I don't think it is fair to villify people we don't know about this situation. Sometimes there is not a "good" decision you can make.   But you have to make a decision.

Yay! Reasonableness! 

Respected Contributor

@Suzy CurlyQ wrote:

@Suzy CurlyQ wrote:

@sierrasaurus wrote:

WAIT A DARN MINUTE! I have never insulted you! 

They probably saved your life for if they had left this bear there you probably would have been on it's next menu for "stocking up". 

I found that insulting since I live in an area with coyotes and black bears. And do not go hiking where I know they like to roam.

I am not going to debate this since it is off topic.

Regular Contributor

@sierrasaurus wrote:

You glossed over what I said regarding their territory. I was quoting a book!! I was not directing that toward anyone!! I am not going to put my words in a quote. If you are referring to the word "coolie" thats was a term for laborer. What my point  is is that when an animal kills and eats a person that animals should not be allowed to continue killing and eating people! Even if they have a problem or not. This is a place families come to visit and to allow a bear to hunt and eat people is not going to work. 

Yep! I just don't want to be on someones menu that's all. 

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, my aunt and uncle have bears that come into their yard, should they just never go outside? We have coyotes that come into our yard, and I still go outside. You can't just stay out of their territory when their territory is also our territory. Yet again, my point regarding territory in my previous posts. If you stay out of somethings territory you are limited to wear you can go. Somewhere is always something's territory.

Respected Contributor

@sierrasaurus wrote:

I know what you were attempting and I know what the word means. That is the point of me saying something SMH.

No I did not gloss over anything. I am so tired of hearing this is a place families come to visit as if that is the end all blah blah blah.

. If families stopped coming you know what would happen? The animals would live without the threat of encroachment of humans. Just because we set up a park system does not mean they are not allowed to continue to live there.

And again his book was proven to be inaccurate and misleading.

Respected Contributor

@sierrasaurus wrote:

Well, my aunt and uncle have bears that come into their yard, should they just never go outside? We have coyotes that come into our yard, and I still go outside. You can't just stay out of their territory when their territory is also our territory. Yet again, my point regarding territory in my previous posts. If you stay out of somethings territory you are limited to wear you can go. Somewhere is always something's territory.

Yet again don't bother reading my posts and again animals do not shoot humans. It is pretty one sided.