Contributor

Re: "Serial" Flu shots may limit body's ability

@Noel7 wrote:

@debsters wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

FYI

From the very credible WebMD:

Myth: Getting a flu shot weakens your immune system and makes you more likely to get the flu.

Totally untrue. Getting a flu vaccine prepares your immune system for the flu.

A flu vaccine teaches your immune system to recognize that virus as a threat. While some people may still get the flu after having a flu shot, they'll probably have a milder form of the illness. That's because antibodies made in response to the vaccine can still provide some protection.

So why do some people swear a flu vaccine gave them the flu? Some may mistake the occasional, short-lived side effects of the vaccine (slight fever, aches) for flu symptoms. And the time of year people are most likely to get the vaccine is when colds and other respiratory illnesses are common. If you get the vaccine and then get sick with an unrelated bug, you may assume, incorrectly, that the vaccine caused the illness.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/myths-and-facts-about-your-immune-system#

That is quite a stretch- our immune systems does not need to be taught. It is designed what to react when we are faced with a virus.

That is down right funny. Sorry but I just had to say something.

@debsters

You might want to do a little research on how the immune system can be taught, and how researchers are now teaching it to be taught to fight some cancer cells.

Honored Contributor

Regarding the folks we know/knew who said that they had the flu immediately after their shots, I'm only guessing that it was more of a reaction to the shot and not an acutal 'flu'.  Some folks are probably more sensitive to many things in general.   Just a thought, of course, right or wrong. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

They say you don't get the flu from the shot, but it may have already been in your system at the time you get the shot.  Just coincidence...

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

They say you don't get the flu from the shot, but it may have already been in your system at the time you get the shot.  Just coincidence...

I have no doubt that that happens quite often, @Bri36. You also, of course, could be breeding some other virus.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got full blown flu 25 years ago.  Our son was 10 at the time and thought I was actually dying.  You can bet the next year I ran to get that first shot.

I get the shot every year as does my doctor.

I don't touch my face without getting a tissue or washing my hands.

I have always and still work with the public, and haven't gotten the flu since.

Honored Contributor

Wow... interesting, but I'll wait for more information.

In 1993 I became extremely ill with Pulmonary Sarcoidosis.  I was one of the lucky ones and my Sarcoid started to remiss on its own!  However, the year I was so sick, my immune system nearly collapsed completely.  I was 45.  

Since the illness affected my lungs, I was told to get a yearly flu shot and a pneumonia shot (at the time, the pneumonia shots were supposed to be good for the rest of your life, but I was only 43 at the time).  Doctor told me to get another one 5 years later and today get one every year.  

Not only have I not had the flu or pneumonia in 24 years... I've only had one cold (not bad) and feel great.

I'm open to whatever research may come along.... but until then I'll continue what has obviously been working for me.  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are out and about with vulnerable people -- the elderly, babies and people with a compromised immune system -- get the vaccine.  

Should you be unlucky enough to still contact the flu, its severity and duration should be lessened.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't care, not to say that I made it through all that.  I get my flu shot each and every year and I will because in my world there's no debate.   I had the flu once and I was sick for many months and it took me a year to return to full strength.  I accept that the flu shot does not give 100% protection and some years like a few years ago, they get it wrong and there's not much protection at all....but it's better than no protection at all.   But it is a choice, most people are not required to get a flu shot.  Don't want one, don't get one.  There's no need to justify it.  

There is on here, because if you don't take them and say so, you are berated something awful on these ever reoccurring threads. 

Honored Contributor

Noel:  They sure are doing some serious research/studies re: using our own bodies to fight off and/or eliminate various medical problems.  Hearts to them!  HeartHeartHeartHeart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I always get a flu shot.  Never had the flu.