Trusted Contributor

Re: "Senior" Flu Shot vs the Regular Dose

My doctor, who gave me my shot, explained to me about the two different doses - I never knew there were two kinds.  He wanted my 89-year-old dad to go to him for his flu shot, and to not go to CVS or a similar store.  So that is what happened.   

Trusted Contributor

I made an appt to get my senior dose and my docs office said they were out of it.  I have to wait for them to call me when they get it in again.

Jessa
Respected Contributor

I have been getting the higher dose flu shot for the past couple of years by advise from my doctor and have had no side effects at all.  Same with DH.  I have a compromised immune system so my doctor highly advised getting the higher dose one.  Medicare has always paid for our flu shots........ at least at Rite Aid or Walgreen's.  My advice to you is to talk to your doctor about which one to get.

Esteemed Contributor

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Husband and I got ours at Costco for $10.

Which one?  And I wonder why it was only $10?

WoW !!!..........Rite Aid is free,even my town Boro Hall and all the pharmacy's are  free,I never knew anyone had to pay for it.

Honored Contributor

My doctor had the stronger flu shot ordered for me, which I didn't know when I went to get it. 

I asked the nurse if I should get it since I have lupus.  She said definitely, and that I would most likely have a reaction but the reaction wouldn't be as bad as the flu which could kill me.

I had the supershot, I got a very large swollen, red and itchy rash on my arm.  I also got a fever for a week.  I don't know if the fever was the shot or not, it might have been since I had no other symptoms.

But she was right, it was tolerable and it didn't kill me like the flu could.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

My doctor had the stronger flu shot ordered for me, which I didn't know when I went to get it. 

I asked the nurse if I should get it since I have lupus.  She said definitely, and that I would most likely have a reaction but the reaction wouldn't be as bad as the flu which could kill me.

I had the supershot, I got a very large swollen, red and itchy rash on my arm.  I also got a fever for a week.  I don't know if the fever was the shot or not, it might have been since I had no other symptoms.

That was pretty much the exact reaction I had. Because I'm not really immune-compromised, I just got a regular flu shot this year through my employer as always. Probably next year when I'm retired and can coddle myself, I'll get the quadruple dose again ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

That was pretty much the exact reaction I had. Because I'm not really immune-compromised, I just got a regular flu shot this year through my employer as always. Probably next year when I'm retired and can coddle myself, I'll get the quadruple dose again ;-)

Hi moonchilde,

Was your reaction from the supershot or the regular?  Sorry, I wasn't sure Smiley Happy

It was a nasty trip, as they say.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Hi moonchilde,

Was your reaction from the supershot or the regular?  Sorry, I wasn't sure Smiley Happy

From thesupershot, just like you.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Hi moonchilde,

From thesupershot, just like you.

I'm sorry it hit you like that, also.  It's good to know because I couldn't figure out if it was the shot or not. 

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Husband and I got ours at Costco for $10.

Flu shots at Costco cost $14.99.

"Pure Michigan"