Respected Contributor

Re: "Senior" Flu Shot vs the Regular Dose

i am 66 and i did get the senior dose.

i did have a reaction; it was nothing more than mild flu-like symptoms for one day.  my arm was pretty sore, however.

i got my shot at walgreens, and it was covered by medicare so there was no charge. 

wishing you luck.  some people swear about getting the shots, and some people swear AGAINST getting them.  i  hope that whatever you decide, that you stay healthy.

Honored Contributor

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

I just had my birthday a couple days ago and am 66 years old.  Do I have to get the higher senior dose flu shot?  It's more expensive but worse, I've read it has nastier side effects.  I just want the regular one.  It's (the regular) $30 something at my local pharmacy. Probably less at Costco. The senior dose is $50 something and only $37 at Costco.  They told me to hurry up and get down if i want it because they only have 10 shots left.    

My dh got his last week and they didn't even ask him and he just got the regular one.  He wants the stronger now that he knows about it.  Not me.

I would think it would be in your best interest if you asked your doctor what dose you should get. Right?

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Mrs. Sweetie Bear

I just turned 68 and they recommended the larger dosage. This time, it did swell up and had fever in the arm, did turn reddish (paper said it would). Other than that, just had the smallest and shortest of headache for 2 mornings, not normal, but then all else was ok. No doc trips were needed or sickness for me. So, just to give you this for instance, it was all ok for me. (I responded mainly due to my age, so you could see one experience.)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, everyone,  Mrs. SweetieBear, I am your age and had the mega-dose in late September. I wonder if these things vary by insurance or region, but I've posted this also about a month ago when the topic came up. 

I requested just the regular dose but was told that my insurance only covered the super-duper older person dose. I told the nurse that as I am still working full time, I am using my employer's insurance and not Medicare.  She told me that Medicare has the same rule as my insurer (Blue Cross Blue Shield). 

Coverage for the recommended enhanced shot only.  The PA was happy to give me the regular dose shot (which I have never had a problem with) but it would cost me around $30 to do that, whereas the recommended large dose shot was already covered by my small co-pay for the office visit itself, so the cost for that was zero.

Money being tight last month I went for the recommended enhanced dose.  A small increase in pain and redness at the injection site--and for about 5 days instead of 1 or 2.  I'll be travelling at the holidays, so I'll be glad for the booster when I am on long flights in a month or two.

I am now glad, as I usually am, that I took the advice I got at the doctor's office.

Edited to add:  according to what I was told, the recommendation / reimbursement for the stronger shot begins at age 65.

Valued Contributor

I'm 69 and received the senior flu shot last week.  I received it last year, also.  I have never had any kind of reaction.     docsgirl

Honored Contributor

Your doctor is the one to whom you should pose this question - not us.

Respected Contributor

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

I don't think it's covered by Medicare if you don't have the prescription part. I just have Parts A and B  I was 65 and had Medicare for my first year last year when I got the regular flu shot and I had to pay.  Anyway, I will ask before I pay.

Thank you all for your answers to my question.  I have the info I need now to help me make my decision.  Mahalo!

I don't know if it's too late to receive drug coverage without a penalty, but there are many Advantage plans out there that include drug coverage with no additional cost to you. The Advantage plans take the Part B money and there are no additional costs to you. The disadvantage is that they are HMO plans so you're limited to what's available in your area.

Esteemed Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

I don't think it's covered by Medicare if you don't have the prescription part. I just have Parts A and B  I was 65 and had Medicare for my first year last year when I got the regular flu shot and I had to pay.  Anyway, I will ask before I pay.

Thank you all for your answers to my question.  I have the info I need now to help me make my decision.  Mahalo!

I don't know if it's too late to receive drug coverage without a penalty, but there are many Advantage plans out there that include drug coverage with no additional cost to you. The Advantage plans take the Part B money and there are no additional costs to you. The disadvantage is that they are HMO plans so you're limited to what's available in your area.

The booster shot and regular flu shot is covered by Medicare if you don't have their drug program.  My husband and I got our shots yesterday and the Pharmacist told us that Medicare would pay for his even though he had Federal Blue Cross as his secondary and he doesn't have the drug program through Medicare.  Mine was covered from Blue Shield since i don't have Medicare.  

Respected Contributor

I got my flu shot at a local pharmacy in mid-September.......AFTER she gave me the shot, she informed me that she gave me the super shot!!  I was mad because that should have been MY decision.  My doctor has told me that I do not need the super shot because I have no underlying health issues and my immune system is not compromised in any way.........I just saw him last week for my annual wellness visit and he said just wait until my appt. next year and get the flu shot from him.  He still said I didn't need the super shot.  Granted, there may be a day when I do, but that pharmacist should have asked me before giving me the shot.  I did not have any side effects from it, but I've never had an issue with a flu shot which I've gotten since my 30's.......

Honored Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

There are advantage plans that are HMO - PPO - and POS plans. And not All advantage plans include the Rx plan though most do.