Trusted Contributor

"Senior" Flu Shot vs the Regular Dose

I just had my birthday a couple days ago and am 66 years old.  Do I have to get the higher senior dose flu shot?  It's more expensive but worse, I've read it has nastier side effects.  I just want the regular one.  It's (the regular) $30 something at my local pharmacy. Probably less at Costco. The senior dose is $50 something and only $37 at Costco.  They told me to hurry up and get down if i want it because they only have 10 shots left.    

My dh got his last week and they didn't even ask him and he just got the regular one.  He wants the stronger now that he knows about it.  Not me.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

Re: "Senior" Flu Shot vs the Regular Dose

Husband and I got ours at Costco for $10.

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Which one?  And I wonder why it was only $10?

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

I think you can get whatever dose you want - or none at all (which is what I do).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Which one?  And I wonder why it was only $10?

The "regular" dose.  I guess $10 is the going rate for a flu shot at the local Costco.

Honored Contributor

The reason for the senior flu dose is because as we age our immunity system does not react as well as when we were younger so the stronger dose helps the immune system to build the needed immunity. If I was a person who had reaction to a shot I would certainly ask my doctor to test me and see what I was sensitive to in that shot so I know in the future if I should get it again. I got the enhanced flu shot and the enhanced pneumonia shot on the same day - no reaction at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Last year, I got the flu shot where I worked.  Rite Aid came in and dosed everyone and it was covered under the firm insurance.  They asked me if I wanted the regular shot or the stronger dose.  I was 59.  I said give me the strong stuff so they did.  I never had any ill effects from it, nor did I get the flu.

This year, I got the flu shot at the my regular doctor's office.  They didn't give me any option.  The nurse said I was not old enough yet for the higher dose so they gave me the regular shot....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

I just had my birthday a couple days ago and am 66 years old.  Do I have to get the higher senior dose flu shot?  It's more expensive but worse, I've read it has nastier side effects.  I just want the regular one.  It's (the regular) $30 something at my local pharmacy. Probably less at Costco. The senior dose is $50 something and only $37 at Costco.  They told me to hurry up and get down if i want it because they only have 10 shots left.    

My dh got his last week and they didn't even ask him and he just got the regular one.  He wants the stronger now that he knows about it.  Not me.

There is no charge if you are on Medicare.  I don't pay for mine at least in Rite Aid 

Honored Contributor

You don't "have" to get a particular shot based rigidly on your age, although your doctor may push the senior dose on you.   They recommend the senior quadruple dose shots for those 65 and over as an arbitrary "senior" age. They are meant for those who are immune-compromised when compared to a younger, healthier demographic - those with chronic illnesses like asthma, diabetes, etc., and/or those who get frequent colds, bronchitis, etc.

I have gotten the regular flu shots through work for many years with no issues. I'm on the young end of senior and basically healthy. I got the quadruple dose last year and did not like the side effects to that massively larger dose.  This year I'm back to the regular shot. My choice.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

I hope this helps.  But, the "Senior or High dose Flu Vaccine" is  for persons over the age of 65 years.  It is a recommended dose not a required dose.   The thinking is that due to age (over 65 years) the immune system is not functioning as well, thus puts a person over 65 years of age at high risk from complications from getting the flu.   The "Senior or High Dose Flu Vaccine has 4x the amount of antigen it in so that it produces more antibodies which increases your protection from the flu.  There are some side effects to the "high Dose" and you must discuss this all with your doctor.   

Remember that the "Senior or High Dose Flu Vaccine" is a recommendation.  The Advisory council on Vaccinations advises "that all persons over 6 months of age get a flu shot every year".   No preference was given to which type.

Again, discuss this with your doctor who can give you direction based on your health and preferences.