Honored Contributor

"Ringless" Voicemail Telemarketing... Please, Just No!!

The FCC will be considering a proposal by crafty telemarketers who want to get around the Do Not Call Registry. These people want to be allowed to send direct voicemail messages to cellphones, without the phones ringing. Because recordings will go immediately to voicemail without phones actually ringing, these "entrepreneurs" are claiming they can't be considered phone calls.

This will open up a vast can of worms IMO, and should never be permitted. We can send our comments to the FCC before they rule on this.

Here's a link to the article, which after reading has me shaking my head:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/business/phone-ringless-voicemail-fcc-telemarketer.html?smid=nytc...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: "Ringless" Voicemail Telemarketing... Please, Just No!!

I heard about this yesterday.  Awful idea!!  I hope it does not get the green-light.

Esteemed Contributor

If the public comments deadline hasn't been extended it is too late to respond to the petition.

See: 
Time Is Of The Essence - Ringless Voicemail Robocalls
https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/Time-Is-Of-The-Essence-Ringless-Voicemail-Robocalls/m-p/...

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I really don't understand how telemarketers make any money....Everyone hates them!  Does anyone actually buy what they are peddling?  I never answer the phone and I'm certainly never going to buy anything that they are bothering me with....I mean who does?

This is a BAD idea...another way to be annoyed!

Honored Contributor

Why in the world would the FCC allow this, let alone consider it?

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

If the public comments deadline hasn't been extended it is too late to respond to the petition.

See: 
Time Is Of The Essence - Ringless Voicemail Robocalls
https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/Time-Is-Of-The-Essence-Ringless-Voicemail-Robocalls/m-p/...

@Marp: I didn't realize that you had already posted about this four days ago. The article l posted this morning, which was dated June 3, didn't mention anything about the deadline, so l don't know...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2, even though the original time frame for commenting has passed if there is a heavy response extending the time period is not unusual.

I would think (hope) that publicity, as late as it is, about this fiasco will inspire responses so an extension would be warranted.  Won't hurt to check it out.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

I really don't understand how telemarketers make any money....Everyone hates them!  Does anyone actually buy what they are peddling?  I never answer the phone and I'm certainly never going to buy anything that they are bothering me with....I mean who does?

This is a BAD idea...another way to be annoyed!

@haddon9

The Uninformed and people that are too trusting fall for these telemarketing schemes and scams and as long as they keep getting responses,(some of these are claiming to be from Microsoft but hijack computers and hold them for ransom, some are the IRS and Social Securty Scams....they arent just selling insurance or windows).......Sadly these cammers and fraudster will continue in their efforts as long as they make money... it started in Nigeria and now has extended to India and the Phillippines........and of course the home grown ones  too..........And with the government even hearing this STUPID proposal it means the consumer gets no help at all.............I'd love to follow the money train to see where and who is pushing this lame idea!!!  Woman Frustrated  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Why in the world would the FCC allow this, let alone consider it?

@ValuSkr

I bet there was some CA$H exchanged behind the scenes.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

this was on the national news last week.  since you brought it up again, I just called my congressman's office to express my opinion.  this is an invasion, and everytime someone calls or leaves a vm I am charged minutes.  i want my friends and whomever I choose calling me, not these slugs!