Honored Contributor

Re: "Rebuilding IN HOUSTON after HARVEY" no links

That's a million dollar question @LTT1.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Preds
What did you think of their ideas in the video?
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 ... I really haven't decided how I feel.  I know things need tochange, but that will never happen in my lifetime. 

Zoning ... changed daily to accomodate and create revenue. 

Regulations ... change daily for the same reasons.

Communications ... depends on so many factors.  Who and why needs to know.  Who is responsible for getting it out.  Who will answer for it and who will be affected.  Everyones property is subject to destruction if the needs are there.  Flip a coin?

More green space, catch basins, detention ponds?  Can't give up the property for that just in case it's ever needed.  People need homes and businesses ... not "wasted" space.

My list could go on, but ... just irrates me.  LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Tiss life @pitdakota.  You just pick up and keep going.  Spend your time fighting or spend your time winning.  LOL 

I hurt for all that are going thru it now.  It changes you ... if not now, it will later.

@Preds@pitdakota

But what what can be done now, to prevent this tragedy in the future?

@LTT1, I haven't located the specific video yet..but I will keep trying.  Although I don't know much about the topography of Houston and certainly won't have the answers.  I keep asking why they can't create some type of system to collect the majority of run off during a storm instead of letting it just drain into drainage systems, creeks, rivers, and eventually the ocean.  I can see the need for water pipelines instead of oil pipelines that carries water across the states to areas of signficant drought.  No one has listened to me yet, LOL!!! 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota@Preds

Not to start a maelstrom (again). In this video :

IMG_0729.PNG

The guy who had to make the final decision to open the flood gates says "these storms will become the norm" in other words, he is saying that this will happen again.

SIGH

This post might get poofec but I can tell myself I tried lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 ... it will happen again. That's a fact. I haven't seen that video and won't look for it tonight. Maybe tomorrow. 

I know that we were told and shown that we were in a 500 year flood zone.  I know that we've been here and watched the river rise, but never felt threatened.  After the flood, we found out so much info, some that was not available before.  Our house, for instance, was divided ... right down the middle.  500/100 flood possibility.  Storm drains were damaged when "underground shelters" were installed in other yards and cut off the drain off flow back to the river.  All legal and all a danger for the neighborhood.  Storm drains had never been cleaned out and people had shoved everything they could down them thinking it would just wash away in to a wonderful wonderland.  They still think that. 

@pitdakota ... I hope your cousin is okay and I'm sorry he or she had to go thru it too.  Hope they moved to higher ground. Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota"

yes, me too... it Is heartbreaking and irritating.

I'm very sorry you guys had to go thru this... 

Respected Contributor

@Preds, he did rebuild & you know the difficulty involved in that process!  But he is doing okay today.   I believe you were on a thread where I talked about being surprised how just one inch of water destroyed everything in our basement.  And that was clean water because some work crews accidently severed a main water line.  The water rushed out underground and seeped up into our basement before they could get it shut down.  What....it was just an inch of water!!!!  I can't imagine flooding....but so many others can and have gone through it like you.

@LTT1, see that is what I mean.  Why can't they have a spill area when they have to empty the reservoir that ultimately drains into a collection system.  That area in Texas I don't think has caves, but the romans were smart enough to do underground water collection areas....why can't we?  Then when it is going to top....okay....let her rip.  But it will not go into an inhabited area and damage people's homes and ruin their livelihoods! 

That is only part of the problem in Houston though as I understand...and ultimately I don't have the answer.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *