Honored Contributor

Re: "Posting in the wrong forum"?

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

I see it all the time and don't think anything about it. Everyone makes mistakes.

@Regal Bee  It isn't always a mistake.  Some people  post in the wrong forum intentionally because they've made "friends" in that forum and post something completely off topic there so the people they want to see the post will see it.  I find it irritating if I go to the fashion forum to read about exactly that - fashion - and see completely off topic threads there, where people have posted deliberately so that certain other people will see the thread.  Ugh.  Why have the board divded up into forums if people post deliberately off topic things in those forums?  Waste of my time to go to the fashion forum and see something about someone's mother-in-law's situation, or whatever.

People post where they feel comfy.  You have a problem with that?  You can report it, or ignore it. 

@ETA : I didn't mean that to sound snarky, but it does.  My apolgies.  Guess I'm having a bad day.  Darn ... hate that when it happens @Pearly.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I am not a particularly organized person in real life, but I prefer to see threads where they belong.   Not a big deal though.

Valued Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

It was brought to my attention recently that I may be posting some of my threads in the wrong forum (mainly Community Chat).  I have a couple of thoughts/questions about that.

First of all, I see many posts in Community Chat that should probably be posted in different forms (according to some who are bothered by this), BUT it makes absolutely no difference to me!  I have been posting on these boards for several years now, and I never remember there being a problem with this before.

When did it become so annoying/irritating/offensive (or whatever you want to call it) to post in the "wrong" forum?  When did it become such a problem that it warrants snarky and unkind comments?

@Sue98

More of us agree with you than with those who make snarky and unkind comments.

Honored Contributor

People have become so rude ,and snippy on here ,just as in life outside this forum,sometimes i feel some on here think they own it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Sometimes depending on the post, you can get more helpful responses if you post in the specific forum, such as Home for an interior decorating question.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

ITA with the dooB.  BTW, it is very nice seein' ya, dooBster!Heart

On most boards (like every other one in the universe, probably), it is just considered basic etiquette to post in the appropriate forum, just like not posting in all caps or all bolded.

It seems like this board might even need a 'Royal Wedding' forum, for criminy sakes.  Smiley Very Happy    I don't think I remember ever seeing this much threadbombing on a single subject. 

More threads are STILL being added and what is even more annoying is that some of them don't have proper thread titles (another general board rule - well, everywhere but here) so you don't know that it's about that subject until you open the thread.

Anyhoo, I'm not stressing any of it.  But it does make for a better experience for most when everybody plays by the same rules.  Smiley Happy

Thanks, chickie! Always so nice to see you!  Although it sounds good to say, "post whereever you want," that's the same as saying "post whatever you want."   Both imply that we don't need to abide by the policies and standards we agree to when using a website.    Also, they imply that general "netiquette" isn't a consideration.    Often there are discussions asking why people aren't thoughtful or more considerate toward one another, so it doesn't follow to urge people to ignore posting policies or internet courtesy.   Frankly, I don't think anyone is stressed about it or will lose precious sleep.😉  Nor do I think anyone is being deliberately inconsiderate.   

This concept isn't related to anyone having control issues or policing the forums.   We're a community here, and we work together.😊

The wedding threads are ubiquitous, aren't they!   I don't mind, although it caused me to stop reading most of them since there were so many to keep up with and the content was tending toward repetition.    I think the numbers simply meant that lots of people were (are) interested.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
Sometimes depending on the post, you can get more helpful responses if you post in the specific forum, such as Home for an interior decorating question.

@bikerbabe, I think that's probably the more salient point.   Posters usually get more interest, feedback, and activity if their thread is in the subject-matter forum.    I've noticed when the moderators move threads to another sub-forum they often state that as the reason.   As an example, a question about health/wellness placed in "Community Chat" or "Among Friends" has a good chance of being buried among other topics and moving off the first page, but in the "Wellness" sub-forum will have more activity.   It's the way it's designed.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Yes, the wedding threads have bombed the forums, but as anyone can see, they are dying. If was something big and many people were interested. If it was a problem, the mods could have allocated one thread for a certain amount of time. 

In the scheme of things, I didn't really care, but I do know some posters get very upset about things on the boards.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a sidebar and important distinction:   Choosing the sub-forum is one issue.  Dealing with snarky comments is a separate issue.  

Unfortunately, the snarks come with the territory even on a well-managed forum with standards and policies.   Best to try and ignore them.    I think often they're just a result of the limitations of having only the written word with the absence of body language, vocal tone, facial expressions...  easy to misunderstand.   Or sometimes we're having a dreadful day and we reply sharply or brashly.    Seldom is anyone deliberately hurtful, in my opinion.

Super Contributor

I do the same thing @Peaches McPhee! I want to make sure I don't miss anything I might be interested in. I just run down the headings of what people are posting and read what interests me. @Sue98, I think it's silly that people get upset if something is posted in the "wrong" place. Just do your best.