Respected Contributor

Re: 🍎"NewYear's resolution: switch diet to improve sleep and get fit"🍎

[ Edited ]

This study is not fat shaming and there is a link between sleep and weight gain. I'm a case in point.

As a child, I was always underweight due to being active and a kid. When I hit my 30s, my job was in a cubicle and working Long hours. The weight starting creeping on. I also was diagnosed with fibro.  I weighed 107 when I started that job. I'm 5ft. Now add about 90 lbs to that weight. 

Several months ago I was really struggling with fatigue. I was getting sleepy during meetings. The fibro meds have always done a great job on the pain management, but fatigue was always an issue and it was getting worse.  My mom and I went on vacation. The first morning of the vacation, I told mom I didn't get any sleep. She laughed sarcastically and said I snored louder than any man she had known and that I was gasping. So I went to see a doctor about sleep apnea. The doctor told me I didn't have sleep apnea, but that my oxygen levels were too low. Pulse ox study showed that my levels were as slow as 85, they should be above 95.  The doctor explained that weight was an issue and that my fibro meds were relaxing my throat muscles too much. I now have to take oxygen at night. I'm in my early 40s and I need oxygen at night!?!? The big green tank gets delivered in a week or so.  The doctor explained this is why I've been tired and have no energy. When you have no energy or don't get any sleep, you don't feel like working out. You just feel tired all the time.  Imagine taking benedryll or a sleeping pill and then try to stay awake in a staff meeting.  All I wanted to do was sleep.  

As as much as I hate to be on oxygen, I'm looking forward to not being tired all the time. I know someone who is on a c pap machine and she said she could tell a difference after using it the first night. I'm hoping for similar results with the oxygen.

I think the article the OP posted is very helpful and not  junk science. Thank you for posting it. 

Respected Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

This study is not fat shaming and there is a link between sleep and weight gain. I'm a case in point.

As a child, I was always underweight due to being active and a kid. When I hit my 30s, my job was in a cubicle and working Long hours. The weight starting creeping on. I also was diagnosed with fibro.  I weighed 107 when I started that job. I'm 5ft. Now add about 90 lbs to that weight. 

Several months ago I was really struggling with fatigue. I was getting sleepy during meetings. The fibro meds have always done a great job on the pain management, but fatigue was always an issue and it was getting worse.  My mom and I went on vacation. The first morning of the vacation, I told mom I didn't get any sleep. She laughed sarcastically and said I snored louder than any man she had known and that I was gasping. So I went to see a doctor about sleep apnea. The doctor told me I didn't have sleep apnea, but that my oxygen levels were too low. Pulse ox study showed that my levels were as slow as 85, they should be above 95.  The doctor explained that weight was an issue and that my fibro meds were relaxing my throat muscles too much. I now have to take oxygen at night. I'm in my early 40s and I need oxygen at night!?!? The big green tank gets delivered in a week or so.  The doctor explained this is why I've been tired and have no energy. When you have no energy or don't get any sleep, you don't feel like working out. You just feel tired all the time.  Imagine taking benedryll or a sleeping pill and then try to stay awake in a staff meeting.  All I wanted to do was sleep.  

As as much as I hate to be on oxygen, I'm looking forward to not being tired all the time. I know someone who is on a c pap machine and she said she could tell a difference after using it the first night. I'm hoping for similar results with the oxygen.

I think the article the OP posted is very helpful and not  junk science. Thank you for posting it. 

Thanks @makeup addict.

I'm sorry for all you've been through.

❤️

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

@newziesuzie Thanks. 

The last few months have been trying, but The worst was finding out about Gracie. Everything else can be fixed or replaced. She just came into the room and is staring at me over my iPad. 🐶❤️  Those beagle eyes do me in every time. As long as she's still playing, eating, and digging holes, I will continue to spoil her. 

Valued Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Overweight shaming is so out of control.......

I know many people who are in great shape, eat well and can't sleep.

Wish the government would quit using tax dollars to fund so many studies/

The article has NOTHING to do with fat shaming.

Valued Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

My take.  Lots of things can lead to lack of sleep.

Being overweight to me says that someone is abusing themselves with food and using it as a drug as well.  Psychological help is needed. 

ITA!!!

Respected Contributor

@italia8140 And @Puzzle Piece, I disagree. For me, it's about a slowing metabolism and not getting enough oxygen and fibro.  Do I eat when I'm stressed? Sometimes, but I was also working 50 hrs a week and eating thru lunches because my job took first place over everything else. Now that I'm not in that same position, the stress is gone and I can now take the steps I need to to take care of me.  

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

I am overweight - I am very active - exercise daily and sleep just fine thank you. I too think the OP's intent was fat shaming. 

Respected Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

@newziesuzie Thanks. 

The last few months have been trying, but The worst was finding out about Gracie. Everything else can be fixed or replaced. She just came into the room and is staring at me over my iPad. 🐶❤️  Those beagle eyes do me in every time. As long as she's still playing, eating, and digging holes, I will continue to spoil her. 

I'm sorry about Gracie, I remember your post

about her @makeup addict.

Hugs.❤️

Respected Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

@italia8140 And @Puzzle Piece, I disagree. For me, it's about a slowing metabolism and not getting enough oxygen and fibro.  Do I eat when I'm stressed? Sometimes, but I was also working 50 hrs a week and eating thru lunches because my job took first place over everything else. Now that I'm not in that same position, the stress is gone and I can now take the steps I need to to take care of me.  

Good points too @makeup addict.

😊