Respected Contributor

🍎"NewYear's resolution: switch diet to improve sleep and get fit"🍎

at: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/304513.php

::

"If your New Year's resolution is to lose weight and get fit, some recent research findings may be able to help.

A study published in the journal Sleep shows that weight loss due to dietary changes can improve sleep habits at any weight, making people feel more energetic and able to exercise.

Previous studies have linked obesity with persistent sleepiness, lack of energy during the day and poor sleep quality, all of which can be successfully combatted with weight loss treatment.

But until now, researchers have known little about the link between excessive weight, poor dietary habits and sleep/wake abnormalities.

Nearly 185 million adults and 24 million children in the US are overweight or obese; in Philadelphia, the figure for adults is around 68%.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that 50-70 million adults in the US experience sleep or wakefulness disorders. Poor sleep is associated with impaired cognitive function and a number of chronic health problems, including depression, obesity and hypertension.............

.........."Our findings suggest body weight is a less important factor than changes in weight for regulating sleepiness. [...] If you are overweight and often feel tired, you may not need to lose all the weight to improve sleep, but rather just beginning to lose that excess weight may improve your sleep abnormalities and wake impairments."

The authors suggest that dietary changes could make individuals start to feel more awake during the day and motivate them to live a healthier lifestyle.

Co-author Dr. Sigrid Veasey, a member of Penn's Center for Sleep and Circadian Neurobiology, hopes the hypothesis that a healthier diet can improve alertness and sleep patterns will be tested on humans, as she says it is "extremely important."

Medical News Today recently published an article on research linking obesity with sleep disruption and suggesting that people with sleep problems are more likely to eat and drink while doing another activity, such as watching television."

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Re: 🍎"NewYear's resolution: switch diet to improve sleep and get fit"🍎

Even 10 pounds of "extra weight" can cause joint pain........and subsequent loss of sleep..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Overweight shaming is so out of control.......

I know many people who are in great shape, eat well and can't sleep.

Wish the government would quit using tax dollars to fund so many studies/

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sensitive and tuned in to "overweight shaming" and I don't see that here at all.

The fact is, however we feel emotionally about carrying and losing weight, it is typically easier for the body to function without large amounts of extra weight.

Of course there are poor sleepers who are at optimal weight. There are also many morbidly obese people that are good sleepers.

Fact is that heavier people typically experience joint pain from carrying extra weight, and pain disturbs sleep.

Nothing judgmental about it, just a fact.

I've been a heavy woman who couldn't sleep, lost weight and became a less heavy woman who couldn't sleep. Just the way it is.

Respected Contributor

I don't understand how studies that link being overweight to ANY time of health problem is "overweight shaming." I've always just thought of them as "facts" and "information." 

Esteemed Contributor

I refuse to use diet as a resolution. I am trying to eat healthier anyway. My goal for the new year is to get rid of things I haven't used in years, to return to working on genealogy and heritage scrapbooks, to learn new jewelry making techniques, and to stay healthy.

Esteemed Contributor

My take.  Lots of things can lead to lack of sleep.

Being overweight to me says that someone is abusing themselves with food and using it as a drug as well.  Psychological help is needed. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

i am not overweight and yet i suffer some insomnia every spring.  go figure.

Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Yep.  You got it right.  You can make a poll or study whatever you want it to be.  Ridiculous!  I stopped wasting my time listening to this kind of garbage. 

Respected Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

@hopi wrote:

Yep.  You got it right.  You can make a poll or study whatever you want it to be.  Ridiculous!  I stopped wasting my time listening to this kind of garbage. 

wadr though if there aren't studies and we don't read 

studies how does any of the science advance, @hopi and 

@MomCat?

And I agree with the others this isn't "fat

shaming" imho.

Thanks for the posts everybody!

I just thought it was interesting.

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••