Valued Contributor

Hey -- I haven't watched the Jodie Foster classic film "Nell" for years but lately when watching the Q I can't help but be reminded of the character Nell.

Why?  Recently I've been watching live QVC, all channels, and hearing words like "Fri-YAY" and "Nay-Nay" with no idea what they mean.

I've found out what those words are used for, I don't mind reading them but SERIOUSLY when I hear hosts & others using these words over...and over...and over, I feel like those experts who tried to decipher Nell's distinctive language.

This all turns me soooo OFF.

Any thoughts?  Does anyone think this is cute or helpful or professional, OR....does this "language" disturb your sensibilities?

Just curious.....Frankly, I can do without all that.

Valued Contributor

I have no idea what Nell is but I agree it’s a turn off.

Fri-yay needs to go. And the silly cutsie nicknames are totally overdone.

Janie

Naynay 
Lor
Ames
Shawnie
I (Isaac’s)
During Christmas they were calling Courtney K something silly that I can’t even remember...elf related maybe?

Respected Contributor

no issues for me

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

@hippiechick7897 wrote:

During Christmas they were calling Courtney K something silly that I can’t even remember...elf related maybe?

They call her Coco (or CoKho) sometimes.

I think some of the names are silly but we used to call Jill Jilly O'Bauer every St. Patrick's Day.

Trusted Contributor

Comparing Q slang to Nell is the funniest thing ever!!!

Respected Contributor

A global pandemic, economic meltdown, and civil unrest disturb my sensibilities far more than silly hosts using baby talk, but I also appreciate the value of distraction.

Respected Contributor

@BSurLife65 

Thanks for the laugh, tonight--that's hilarious!

And for those who don't get the comparison, here's all you need to know about Nell, thanks to Ellen DeGeneres, in only 29 seconds lol:

https://youtu.be/6aPGINklLGc

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

@BSurLife65 

Thanks for the laugh, tonight--that's hilarious!

And for those who don't get the comparison, here's all you need to know about Nell, thanks to Ellen DeGeneres, in only 29 seconds lol:

https://youtu.be/6aPGINklLGc

Wow!!! Thank YOU for the youtube link, never saw that before!  I'm glad someone got my reference and made light of the silly talk from 'some' hosts on the Q -- why are they talking to adult humans like we're in Kindergarten???  And, TBH, it makes these hosts sound silly and desperate.  Did you ever watch "Nell" the film?  I liked it, Jodie did a great job but I can't get her 'special' language out of my head!!! Yay Yay.....Tay Tay.

Honored Contributor

Woman Frustrated

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Woman Frustrated

Frustrated Woman?  About what exactly? C'mon, you're amongst friends, speak your mind with words, not a weird emoji please, it has no real meaning.