Honored Contributor

Re: "My Soul".....for selling?

@walkingal wrote:

@Kachina624  I thought the exact same thing!  And when she used it back then, I didn't understand what it meant.  I still don't..  She said it was from Shakespeare,  

@walkingal   It is from Shakespeare's "The Tempest" but it is a love scene between Miranda and Ferdinand (he spoke the words) so I'm really not sure how it actually applied to a ring unless a man was giving the ring to a spouse or partner.

I didn't get her use of the phrase, either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I'm glad it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.  To "sell your soul" for a product touted on a shopping show would have been a bit much.  I can sort of see a particular look or accent "callling to ones soul'  their own individual sense of beauty or "rightness" for themselves.  Hosts are trying to get that feeling from customers all the time. It's what they do.

Valued Contributor

or maybe the hosts are trying to have fun? Obviously, hairspray isn't feeding our souls, and neither does shopping, but what if we stepped back, took it as a light hearted moment in this big game of life and just laughed?

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@walkingal wrote:

@Kachina624  I thought the exact same thing!  And when she used it back then, I didn't understand what it meant.  I still don't..  She said it was from Shakespeare,  

@walkingal   It is from Shakespeare's "The Tempest" but it is a love scene between Miranda and Ferdinand (he spoke the words) so I'm really not sure how it actually applied to a ring unless a man was giving the ring to a spouse or partner.

@Cakers3  Add me to the list of those who do not get it.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@walkingal wrote:

@Cakers3  Add me to the list of those who do not get it.

From what I recall, her mother bought her the engraved ring in the UK.  Viewers liked it and it was duplicated.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Super Contributor

desertDi, you are spot-on with your post; this is exactly how it made me think & feel....using their Soul for Selling...."words do matter" The spiritual piece of jewelry can be heard as respectful.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCalm wrote:

Hosts, Courtney Cason, on Beauty IQ used the phrase "speakes-to-my-soul " when selling a hair spray recently; Amy Stran used words that conveyed "her soul" Monday on how much she likes grommets on a SG jacket.

@QVCalm 

Why does it matter?

Are you religious?

Do a search on Google for the meaning.

Widely used in literature.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It probably started with Shawn's "hear my soul speak" ring.  It's a wide band with that engraved on it.  She sold it on the Q for a long time.

I'm not really interested in hearing Shawn's soul speak.

Honored Contributor

I know! Right? = another one I can’t stand
Honored Contributor

Excellent point! They should show more items in a show...when I look online to see what has been on the air, I am always amazed when I see only 5-6 items have been shown for an entire show. Too much talking, not enough choices for buyers.