Honored Contributor

Re: "Modern farmhouse" decorating?

@LilacTree  Beautiful! Are there some things I would change decor wise? Yes, but the overall "bones" are pefect. Wow. Just, wow.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@LilacTree  Beautiful! Are there some things I would change decor wise? Yes, but the overall "bones" are pefect. Wow. Just, wow.

@SahmIam

Well, they love it.  It is over-decorated (IMO) but they changed all of that.  They fell in love with it simultaneously and bought it on the spot.  The owners had been there for over 40 years and were retiring to live with family, so they accumulated a lot.  They must have had to have four moving trucks to get all of that stuff out of there.

I haven't been there yet.  I can't wait to see what my niece has done with it.  Yes, the "bones" are there, I agree.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I really dislike anything farmhouse.  Especially the way the fixer upper people do it.  I am a traditional with updates one myself.  A little English, a little French mixed with more clean modern lines as well.  

Other designers do the modern farmhouse much better than Joanna Gaines.

I enjoy watching Stonehouse Revival on the DIY channel.   He takes VERY old homes and keeps some of the original elements but blends it with modern to get a great look.  If you have a chance, check it out.   Jeff Devlin is the host.

His designs are a bit more sophisticated, maybe not the English/French that you like but very nice.

stone house revival.jpg

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I really dislike anything farmhouse.  Especially the way the fixer upper people do it.  I am a traditional with updates one myself.  A little English, a little French mixed with more clean modern lines as well.  

I enjoy watching Stonehouse Revival on the DIY channel.   He takes VERY old homes and keeps some of the original elements but blends it with modern to get a great look.  If you have a chance, check it out.   Jeff Devlin is the host.

His designs are a bit more sophisticated, maybe not the English/French that you like but very nice.

stone house revival.jpg

Just from this picture it looks like maybe they have a bigger budget (stove, etc.) than they have on Fixer Upper.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I like the look a lot, too, with all those pale, pickled kinds of white tones, simple wall hangings, galvanized metal and chicken wire odds & ends.  I'm getting ready to redecorate a bedroom and do an complete bathroom overhaul but I'll probably stick with something more traditional.  As much as I like the modern farmhouse style, it wouldn't go with the rest of the house.  Same thing for the kitchen.  I'd  like to add some shiplap to one wall but I don't think it would look right against the rest of the decor.  Oh, to have unlimited funds, then I could redo the whole house to match!

ETA - another thing to consider is that traditional never goes out of style.  Modern Farmhouse is likely just another fad the same way all the ruffles, ribbons, baskets, rafia swags, slate blues and mauvey pinks of the "country" look were back in the 80's and 90's.  

@JeanLouiseFinch

I never liked that look either.  A close friend of mine had a little house and she couldn't have fit more ducks and geese into it if she tried.  And everything was blue and yellow and, as you say, ribbons, frilly curtains, and aprons everywhere.

I have always liked contemporary/traditional woods (not glass and aluminum and weird shaped lamps-type contemporary, and I never liked leather).  Solid teak and rosewood imported from Denmark, I guess Pottery Barn type furniture was my thing when I could afford it.  It had to be comfortable and homey.

My daughter and I live in a small apartment now with her furniture, which is kind of eclectic (and getting old, but oh well).  Now I just have a mattress on a boxspring in my bedroom, LOL.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

So much of "modern farmhuse" has too much white or light neutrals or gray in the scheme or sometimes brown....I dont mind white cabinets in the kitchen, but what bothers me is when the couches/chairs, rugs and home accents are all white,gray and beige/brown....The white furniture does not seem practical to me because it would take a lot cleaning to keep that in pristine condition....And I want to see some color--to me color adds a feeling of comfort and coziness........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@software wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

stone house revival.jpg

Just from this picture it looks like maybe they have a bigger budget (stove, etc.) than they have on Fixer Upper.  

I don't recall anything close to $100k, most are $50k - $80k

I don't know the price of this current remodel in the picture.

Most of the owners of these very old homes (1700s, 1800s) save up (or get a tax refund or other windfall)  to do 1 room at a time, not the entire house, like in Fixer Upper

Honored Contributor

Sometimes "Modern Farmhouse" leans toward Industrial, and I love that look.  My house is Tuscan, but has those elements.  I find them to be casual and calming.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Sometimes "Modern Farmhouse" leans toward Industrial, and I love that look.  My house is Tuscan, but has those elements.  I find them to be casual and calming.

I do too!

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree The pictures you posted are exactly what I love. Warm & cozy, rich & elegant but casual. No old rusty farm implements hanging on the walls! All the furniture isn't white. Beautiful.