Honored Contributor

Re: "MOST" POPULAR GIRLS' NAMES IN EACH GENERATION

@on the bay wrote:

Didn't it seem like there were a lot of Debbies in the boomers?

Anyone see any Barbaras? 

I think I saw a number of Barbaras, as well as the Debbies, Kathys, and Lindas.  

But one Barbara, to this day (when I actually have forgotten most of my childhood, except the bad stuff of course) I remember this one Barbara my age who had THE most beautiful long long long hair.  It was always back in a long braid.  It was like Crystal Gayle long!  She was lovely and very nice.  That's all I remember but when I think of the name I think of her.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Millennial generation: DD has a name that has been around for a long time, but she was in kindergarten with Kayla, Kayleigh, Briana, and the ever-popular Ashley.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  I know 3 Gen Xers who are named Jennifer and whenever I'm introduced to someone with that name, I can predict with fairly high accuracy, the time period in which they were born. Smiley Happy  

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, gosh, I forgot "Jennifer"--  maybe that's THE  "it" name of Gen X.  

I keep thinking of alternate "representative" names!

Yes, you're right, @Oznell.  The name "Jennifer," apparently was THE "it" name for Gen X.  I know at least a dozen girls named, Jennifer, born in that time period.

Honored Contributor

@Deb0509 wrote:

I'm a boomer ( I don't like that word) lol, but anyway my name is Deborah. I never liked it when I was a kid. There were quite a few others, but I really like it now.

Can't begin to tell you the number of Deb's I know & have met in my adult life.

For guys, I think it's a Dave.  Lots of those.

One final thing, if I ever had a girl, I planned to call her Karen.  (Oznell, see you weren't far off on that one, were you.  LOL)  

Respected Contributor

I am a Genration X child and my parents considered naming me Jennifer or Stephanie.  I know they were popular names of that generation.  My parents really had a hard time deciding on a name.  In fact I don't have a middle name because they had a hard enough time deciding on a first name. 

Honored Contributor

I find names of the Lost Generation exert a pull on me-- there's something so poignant about that generation, the first one that lost so many millions to World War I.   Millions of young lives lost, so pointlessly.

And of course, Hemingway and Fitzgerald were writing for that generation.  The girls' names that they were encountering were of course typical for that time period, yet both had wives with extremely unusual first names. 

Scott Fitzgerald's wife of course, was Zelda Sayre, and Hemingway's first wife was "Hadley", which I've always thought would blend in so well with today's names...

And each of them, famously gave female characters in their books, in the 1920's names that were very forward-looking for their time. 

Fitzgerald had a rebellious female character in "The Great Gatsby" called "Jordan".   And of course, one of Hemingway's most famous female characters ever, in "The Sun Also Rises",  is the unforgettable "Brett"--   Lady Brett Ashley.   How unusual for the Twenties.

Fitzgerald and Hemingway were "ahead of their time" namers!

Respected Contributor

Hi @Oznell  When I'm searching for American characters' names for my novels, I google "boys names" or "girls names" and the decade the character was born in. Then I go to the SSAdotgov site as one of the main results. You can check the numbers on names there, and they're listed in order of popularity.

Super Contributor

“Kachina”? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Would be hilarious if that were really your name. Would be hard to find 4 of those!
Respected Contributor

I so wanted a common name growing up as got teased for Georgia. A boys name and Georgie Porgy. Older ladies called me Georgie. In HS I was George and my Mother would say she did not name me George. A female version of George. I think George means farmer? She said it was pretty and I would like it as an adult. I still don't like it and hated to write the ugly cursive G so just made a lower case " g "larger.

My name  had to go with Jean, my middle name after my Aunt and Godmother, Imogene. The other choices were Rebecca Jean or Molly Jean. I  so wished for those instead. My Godmother said when she called her family after my birth they chuckled, like "what?"

Now it is popular to have a different names and the spellings are all changed to be different. It must frustrate teachers to make sure the kid's names are pronounced and spelled correctly.

I like looking at the meaning of names, history, meaning, variations and country of origin  of names in baby name books for girls and boys.